Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Troubelshoot help on mic recording please

Jul 7, 2013 11:25 AM

Tags: #troubleshoot_audition_mic

HI all,

thanks for looking in. I have lost my ability to record VO..It was wroking fine last time I used it. Went to use it again and nothing?

Win7Pro OS SvcPk1

AU updated

RealTek Driver

Followed this http://forums.adobe.com/message/4256315#4256315

Here are some screen grabs, of what I am looking at over here. I am not getting a mis match error when arming to record. Selecting record produces NILL..Flat Line

Latest updates were Quicktime, Flash and Silverlight Players. FWIW

Any tech guys out there help me troubleshoot the missing "unchecked box"? LOL!

auCP.PNGausetting44.PNG

realteksett.PNGsoundmenu.PNG

recmenu.PNGsounds.PNG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

In the next to bottom screenshot, you are looking at the recording options, but looking at the playback mixer.

Assuming you have the correct mic set as the default, close the playback mixer, then highlight the mic at the top and select "properties".

This should take you to a screen called Microphone Properties, go to Levels and check that the mic is faded up and Mic Boost is set appropriately..

These Microsoft audio controls have always been difficult until you get the hang of them, but if you navigate around all the screens, you ought to be able to get it working  .fairly easily.

If the soundcard has jack sensing, you may need to plug the mic in before starting Audition.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 1:50 AM   in reply to Netcommercial

Hi NC, glad you got it fixed. You should hang on to that gf!

As I understand it, CD's standardised on the 44100 sample rate and from this came the normal use of that rate for audio only playback and .recording.

Video cameras came out with 48000 sample rate and from this that rate became the basic standard for audio with video.

However, the standard has not been followed too tightly recently and, for example, it's common to find YouTube videos with 44100 audio.

The crucial thing since Windows 7 came out is to make sure all the default settings are at the sample rate that you want to end up with. This reduces the cahance of Windows doing an on-the-fly sample rate conversion using the built-in very poor sample rate converter.

Your screenshots also show the Windows sounds being enabled. You really should set them to "No Sounds" if doing any serious recording.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to Netcommercial

Only a usb mic might set the sample rate, and I don't think yours is one of those.

The default sample rate is set via the Windows Control Panel and selecting each device, then properties, then Advanced. However, a Realtek Ssound card may have its own separate mixer and control application and in my experience this may or may not follow the Windows settings.

The Realtek application often appears at the bottom of the control panel audio area, and you may have to scroll down to see it.

The final thing I can think of is that I believe some other programs can alter the default sample rates. If you try to monitor this by opening applications while watching the open Windows Control Panel audio panels, you need to be aware that they don't uually show changes until they are closed and re-opened.

The alternative to all this mess is to invest in a good usb2 audio interface, such as Edirol, Tascam or the many other known makers. This will provide asio drivers, which bypass most of the Windows nonsense and will almost certainly provide better audio quality and control than the (onboard?) Realtek.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 4:12 AM   in reply to Netcommercial

A lot of this is outside my direct experience, but I imagine that the two top items in the screenshot refer to the 7.1 audio perhaps sent digitally from the hdmi port. I don't think they are relevant to Audition. Also, unless you are actually using the Realtek digital output, I would disable it by right clicking on it and choosing that option.

The Realtek audio on motherboards is really only designed for use with Skype etc. and, while the Realtek chips may be capable of high quality, they are on a board designed by a motherboard designer rather than someone who designs audio circuitry layouts. The are also in an area where there is a huge amount of RF and other interference flying round. I think it will be this rather than which jack socket you use that will be the deciding factor. I would not be surprised to find it produced "scuzzy hiss".

A good external interface will be much better and may not cost too much. I know because I've just sold an old Tascam US-122L on ebay. Something like that would be fine and ready for the day you get a Sennheiser or other pro mic that needs phantom power as well as the properly balanced input that your current mic would benefit from.

For all of this you really need to think through the various stages of recording and monitoring what you are doing.  Others here know much more about voice over an other work than I do.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points