Skip navigation
mikecox_
Currently Being Moderated

Beginners' Workshop May/June 2013 step 6

Jul 7, 2013 1:50 PM

Tags: #filters_not_working

Step 5 says to convert the layer to a smart object using: Filter>Convert for Smart Filters. 

I understand that I could also accomlish this by right clicking the layer and selecting "Convert to Smart Object" from the drop down.  However, I followed the instruction in step 5; in case I was wrong.

The problem comes in step 6.  When I follow the instruction: "In CS6 choose Filter>Filter Gallery" I found it greyed out.

I followed the steps, to that point,  exactly; except that; since I started with only a background layer, I used Ctrl-J to duplicate it.  I did not use Ctrl/Alt/Shift-E to create a new "stamped" layer.

I understand a "stamped layer" to be all layers combined; or flattented, and ID'd as a "Stampted Layer".  I that correct?

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,973 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 7, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to mikecox_

Most likely your editing in 16Bit color mode which will gray out Filter Gallery.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,973 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 7, 2013 7:05 PM   in reply to mikecox_

mikecox_ wrote:

I understand a "stamped layer" to be all layers combined; or flattented, and ID'd as a "Stampted Layer".  I that correct?

All maybe its Stamped visible layers the layer content will be composite view your see when your creating the "Stamped Visible Layer".  This layer will be somewhere in the layer stack.  Crtl+Alt+Shift+E is a bit strange or inconsistent in the way it operates.  If the current target layer visibility is off the shortcut does nothing.  If the current target layer is visible and empty that layer will receive the stamped pixels. If the current target layer is visible not empty a new layer will be added above the current target layer with the stamped pixels and the current target layer will be changed to be the new stamped layer.

Stamp Visible layers are great layer to work with and preserve your layers when they are the top layer.  I often use these for things like adding a sharpening adjustment which is blended into the layers below by changing its blending mode to luminosity.  If you first convert the layer to a smart object the adjustment layer is a smart filter and can be readjusted and have a filter mask as well as a layer mask. 

When I record a stamp visible layer step into an action I need to avoid inconsistent operation. An action does not know when it is starts where in the layer stack the current target is or if the target layer is visible.  So I always start by recording Crtl+Alt+Shift+N+E which is actually two short cuts  Crtl+Alt+Shift+N (add new layer without Prompt) and Crtl+Alt+Shift+E (Stamp Visible layers).  Crtl+Alt+Shift+N insures that the current target layer is a new empty layer and Crtl+Alt+Shift+E stamps the visible composite into the that empty layer.  Normally I follow that Crtl+Alt+Shift+N+E with Ctrl+Shift+] move current layer to front its now on top... Now the action knows where in the the stack the current target is and that it is visible. For it just created it and insured its location  moved the layer to the top of the stack.  The Action may also want to name the layer now for its current name will be something like "Layer n"  generated by Photoshop when Crtl+Alt+Shift+N was used.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,973 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 8, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to mikecox_

If you opened a RAW file to start with ACR. ACR remembers your workflow option you used the last time you used ACR.  If the RAW file being open has not been open before the RAW file doesn't have associated ACR Settings in a sidecar file or ACR database.   If the last time you use ACR you opted for16bbit color ACR will default the current RAW file to 16bit color when it converts your cameras sensor's raw data into an RGB image.

You may be able to set default ACR workflow options check them out in the bottom center section of ACR main dialog.

wf.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,973 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 9, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to mikecox_

mikecox_ wrote:

Do you mean  the "Stamped Visible Layer" will be a composit of all the visible layers in the stack: like a flattened version of the stack?

Yes the document is not flattened. What in the smamp is what Photoshop is currently displaying as the visible layers composit view.

If a layer visibility is off none of its pixels has any effect on the stamp the layer is off not used.  Its still a layer and its visibility can be turned on. Doing so will not change a stamped layer that has been created while its visibility was off.  Only pixels that are visible when the stamped layer is created get stamped.   If some layer pixels are masked off or are hidden by an other higher up layer they do not get stamped the higher up pixels do.  The stamp layer layer's pixels will look identical to the current composite Photoshop is displaying. The stamp layer can be created at any layer level in the layer stack.  Where it get created is determined by the current Photoshop target.  If the current target is an empty layer that layer received the stamped pixels.  If the current target layer is not empty an new layer above it is created that layer becomes the current target and receives the stamped pixels.  So if the original target  layer was an empty bottom layer the stamp layer would be on the bottom of the layer stack. 

Smart object layers pixel do not change they are acted on.  What is displayed is the results of all of the actions on the layer pixels.

All Smart Object Layers have at least a transform acting on its pixels.  The transform many be simply transform the layer 100%.

You can not change a Smart Object Layers pixels by any means other then opening the embedded object and modifying it. When you commit the modification Photoshop will update the embedded object and the layers pixel. 

You can not paint on, draw on, or adjust the layers pixels.

You can add adjustment layers over a smart object layer  and filters to the layer.

Layer Styles should work on smart object layers they do not change layer pixels. Layer styles are applied onto the rendered layer display.

When you add a filter to a smart object layer the filter is added as a smart filter.  The layers pixels are not changed the filter is hung off the layer through a filter mask and the fitter setting are recorded into this hanging filter. If you add more then one filter the additional filters will be hung of the previously added filter.  All masked by the single filter mask that you can modify. You can also modify the filters recorded settings and change a filters visibility.  When you make a change filters are re-applied in their hanging order.  What is displayed to you is the result of all the actions on the layers pixels which have not been modified.

ssal.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points