Skip navigation
Dawson117
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 won't launch at all.

Jul 7, 2013 2:45 PM

I installed Premiere Elements 11 from a disk that also has Photoshop Elements. Photoshop Elements launches successfully. When I try to launch PE 11, either from the Start menu or the desktop icon, I get the round "swirl" for a moment, then it disappears and nothing happens. I also right-clicked and selected the option to run as administrator. I got the User Account Control message and I clicked OK.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP desktop. I tried to update the driver (ATI Radeon HD 5450) but it said I have the latest driver.

I appreciate any suggestions or help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to Dawson117

Welcome to the forum.

Probably the prime reason for PrE to not launch is an obsolete, or corrupt video driver. Let's get that out of the way first.

What is the make & model of your video card?

What is the installed version and date of the video driver?

Is that the latest version from the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site?

If not, then download the driver version for your card, and OS, and install it.

Test.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

As a bit of a PsE, Photoshop Elements does not need to interface so closely with the video driver, as PrE does, so will often work fine, when PrE will not.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to Dawson117

>it said I have the latest driver

What is "it"?

As Hunt asked... did you go to the vendor site and search for your exact model, or did you just have Windows Update tell you?

If Windows Update... it is VERY often wrong for video drivers

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to Dawson117

For a bit more info and background on PrE and the video driver, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5176500#5176500

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to Dawson117

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Dawson117

I assume that your Win7 Home Premium is 32-bit. Is that correct?

If so, it appears that the latest Radeon driver is: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_win8-32. aspx

Is that the version that you have installed?

Here is the latest for Win7-64: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_win8-64. aspx

I did not check everything between those two, though did notice that the release date appeared to be the same, so they might be the same driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to Dawson117

If Steve's suggestion does not help, and you do have the latest AMD Catalyst driver, then we can probably move on.

Do you have any VST's, say from audio-editing software, installed on your computer?

Some of those can cause PrE to hang, at launch.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to Dawson117

Dawson117

Have you answered the classical question yet, that is, do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit? And, did you right click the Premiere Elements 11 desktop icon and selected Run As Administrator.

What about deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file? Have you been there and done that?

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

If deleting just the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in that 11.0 Folder does not resolve the problem, then try deleting that whole 11.0 Folder.

In all of that, make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives on so that you can see the complete path.

Have you checked your antivirus program to make sure that it is not involved in this issue?

Have you already gone down the road where you deactivate in Help Menu/Deactivate, close out of there, and uninstall (Control Panel) and reinstall?

Have you tried launching the program from Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file in the Program Files. The desktop icon goes to Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe which opens the program to the Welcome Screen. The Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file bypasses the Welcome Screen.

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements 11

and in the Premiere Elements 11 Folder included are those two .exe files.

Please check out the above to rule them in or out of the matter and then we can decide what next if the problem persists.

Is Adobe expecting you to follow up with them?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to Dawson117

Dawson117

I am the first one always to write "Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes", but I came across the following 2012 thread from here with a Premiere Elements no launch issue that was related to "iLivid". Any chance you have that program installed?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4797266

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to Dawson117

Dawson117

Hunt should be around shortly to answer the VST question, but I suspect that he is referring to Virtual Study Technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

You were spot-on with VST = Virtual Studio Technology. Some can cause problems with Premiere not launching. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3077222#3077222

VST's are used in audio-editing programs, and might be installed with those, or added as plug-ings.

• Many VST's work with PrE, and can be loaded just fine.
    • Others will not work with PrE, but loading them will not cause an issue.
    • Some, however, will not work with PrE, but will cause it to hang, when the program attempts to load them.

If Dawson does not have any audio-editing applications, then the VST's are not likely to be an issue. That's why I asked about them, rather than to go into a lot of detail on what they were, and how they might affect things. Usually, a person with a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), will immediately know about VST's, in general, though might not be aware that they can cause issues with Premiere.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to Dawson117

Dawson117

Thanks for the follow ups and going through the lists of suggestions...

In the AppData... folder, I only found Photoshop Elements. No folder for Premiere Elements. There is a folder for Elements Organizer.

Let us rule this out or in. If you have Windows 7 64 bit, there must be a Premiere Elements Folder. Do you have Folder Options set for Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives On so that you can get the complete path?

Does the Control Panel area show Premiere Elements 11 as installed (typically file size 1.23 GB before you complete the Content download)?

The following link should help with checking on the antivirus and firewalls.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/disable-antivirus-software

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to Dawson117

Stacey/Dawson117

My goof. I overlooked that you were using Windows 7 32 bit and kept thinking Windows 7 64 bit. Sorry about that.

The Windows 7 32 bit path to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and the 11.0 Folder in which it exists is:

Local Disk C

Documents and Settings

Owner

Application Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. As I said, if the deletion of this Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file does not solve the problem, then you could try deleting the whole 11.0 Folder in which it exists.

As before, make sure that you have Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Just the other day I had a problem launching Premiere Elements 11 on Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit. Just would not open. After troubleshooting, that turned out to be related to the antivirus program which I had been using successfully for several months. Uninstalled the antivirus and actually go to run a project in the program in that operating system. Now I have got to decide whether to reinstall the antivirus that I had or look for an alternative antivirus program.

But, unfortunately, one fix does not necessary fit all.

Thanks for asking for clarification. And sorry again for thinking 64 instead of 32 bit.

We will continue to watch for your progress.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:13 PM   in reply to Dawson117

Dawson117

Thanks for the update.

Did you find the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in the path for Windows 7 64 bit?

Momentary recap...have you ever been able to get Premiere Elements 11 opened since the time that you installed it? If you have the Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active and still cannot find it, that makes me think that the folder is not generated until you open your first project.

In that regard, go to Libraries/Documents/My Documents/and see if you find an Adobe Folder which contains a Premiere Elements Folder. If you get that far, see if the Premiere Elements Folder contains an 11.0 Folder. Any or all in that path may be generated only with the first opening of the first Premiere Elements project. If so, then this is going to be a nowhere route.

Thinking about what next.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to Dawson117

Dawson117

Thanks. I think that information confirms what I suspected. So much for that route.

Way back in an earlier post in this thread SG gave you a link relating to program licensing. Going in that same direction, have you been there and done the following:

Windows 7 64 bit

Administrative Tools

Services

FLEXnet Licensing

it is the FLEXnet Licensing showing:

Startup Type = Automatic

and

Service Status = Started

Have you exhausted all the possibilities of "permissions" being involved in this issue

a. right clicked the desktop icon for the program and selected Run As Administrator

b. created an additional User Account with Administrative Priviledges, installed the program there and tried to run it.

Have you gone to the Action Center and disabled the antivirus program there and then tried to start Premiere Elements 11?

I ran into a problem getting Premiere Elements 11 to open from Windows XP 32 bit. What worked there was uninstalling the antivirus and reinstalling it.

Any chance of you finding time to let Adobe try to start Premiere Elements 11 for you remotely?

I am going to keep thinking of things that we have yet to explore as a solution.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 7:48 PM   in reply to Dawson117

Dawson117

You said that you have Photoshop Elements 11 successfully installed on your computer and that, in the Control Panel/Programs Premiere Elements 11 is listed as installed. Is that correct? If so, what happens if you open Photoshop Elements 11 to the Elements Organizer, import a video into its Organizer, and then right click the video and select Edit with Premiere Elements? Does Premiere Elements open to its editor workspace?

ATr

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points