Skip navigation
Mandy & Louis
Currently Being Moderated

Chapters end actions keep setting back to menu???

Jul 7, 2013 2:49 PM

Encore Screen print.jpgNewbie to Encore Cs6 on Win 7 x64.

Created 7 chapters for a wedding and I am trying to get them to work in this fashion.

Chapter 1 Highlights

Chapter 2 Getting ready

Chapter 3 Ceremony

Chapter 4 Cutting of Cake

Chapter 5 Horse and Carriage

Chapter 6 Sunset

Chapter 7 Reception

I need to set it up so that I can have a play all button, and I also need each chapter to work independently from each other and return to the main menu.

I have seen the tutorial to get this working, but that is not my problem.

The problem is that when I set Chapter end actions, they keep changing to something else??? This is driving me crazy cause I cannot get the menus to work as I want.

Can anyone share some light on this, is there some setting that keeps changing my end actions back to main menu instead of my selected next chapter??

AAARGGGHHHH!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to Mandy & Louis

What tutorial? And how can that not be the problem, given that it is not working? It might help, to avoid trying to reinvent the wheel here!

Three options.

Option 1 is not what you did, so I note it just for the record: create separate videos for each chapter, then create separate timelines in Encore for each video. Use a "playlist" for the play all.

Option 2: overrides. They work but prove difficult for many users.

Option 3: Create a CHAPTER playlist, put one chapter in it, then link the chapter button to that chapter playlist. There will be one chapter playlist for each chapter. Each chapter itself has no end action set, and you set the end action for each chapter playlist to "last menu."

Edit: Sorry; forgot to add this. There is no reason your end actions would change. I don't understand that. So I assume something else is wrong. If you think you have it set correctly, we need to see the right side of your flowchart (where the end action of the chapters would show up) and maybe examples of the correct and incorrect end actions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 9:19 PM   in reply to Mandy & Louis

I seem to be experiencing a similar thing. (maybe weddings are jinxed?)

I tend to edit a section I call "Introductions". In Premiere, this is 1 timeline with Encore Chapter Markers placed accordingly. In Encore, this becomes 1 Timeline that I associate 1 Menu with the various Chapters. These Chapters then get linked to the appropriate Chapter Marker on the Encore Timeline.

It has (chapters change depending on the wedding):

1 Bridal Party Intro

2 First Dance

3 Daddy/Daughter Dance

4 Mother/Son Dance

5 Toasts

6 Cake Cutting

For each Chapter, the End Action is to go on to the next Sequential Chapter and I use an Override which specifies that it return to the  Menu w/ the corresponding Chapters if an individual Chapter was chosen and not "Play All".

I've done it this way for years; because I can use Dynamic Link, set it to Auto, and have Encore adjust bitrates accordingly to fit my project to DVD or Bluray. Now, it is NOT working correctly!

Some of the Chapters End Actions are staying as I have selected but are going to a different place on playback. One Chapter continues to go to the Menu when I hit Execute End Action.

This project is the same as it always has been... PP CS6 --> Encore CS6.

I do have PP CC installed but find it more difficult to determine bitrate. Without Dynamic Link I have been exporting/encoding projects  from PP/AME that are too big for the disc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to Mandy & Louis

Mandy, are you using CS6 Premiere and CS6 Encore? And if so, do you have CC installed? Are you using PR CC and Encore CS6? Or what?

All the end actions change at the same time when I change any chapter end action.

How are you "changing" the end action? And by "when I change," do you mean when you set the end action to begin with?

In any event, try changing the end action by selecting the chapter indivdually in the timeline panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to [r]Evolution

(maybe weddings are jinxed?)

Please post a screenshot.

Even though this seems similar to Mandy, there are no overrides there. I would start a new thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to [r]Evolution

I took another look at my problem with a clear head and started a new project.

It appears that my disfunction came into play by selecting my Timeline asset in the Project bin and manipulating the End Actions. Because I have a "Play All" button wherein everything plays beginning to end sequentially... as well as a Scene/Chapter Select option with Overrides... all Navigation & End Actions needed to be made from the Button level as apposed to the Timeline level... because it is the individual Button on a specific Menu that determines the End Action.

Once I selected my Button, I could add navigation and the disc behaved as expected. If I were to select a Timeline... navigation would go awry and behave unexpectedly. Reason being: I needed navigation specific to the Button.

Once I selected something else like a Timeline, I was no longer building specific Button navigation. I could not set up a Timeline End Action as the Timeline is used multiple times with different End Actions. After I saw the err of my ways, it worked flawlessly on the first attempt.

In short, I was confusing Encore.

(I hope I have not confused you all as well)

Mandy... You too may be confusing Encore.. I would suggest trying:

After dragging your Timeline Chapter Markers to your Menu to make the Buttons. Select a Button on your Menu and do its navigation & End Actions from there and NOT from the Flowchart.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points