Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I change thePhoto Downloader sort order in PSE11

Jul 7, 2013 5:26 PM

Tags: #photo #sort #order #downloader

The default sort for the Photo Downloader seems be by date and time. I recently purchased a camera the does up to 10 fps and the Downloader does not seems to have resolution to sort the micro-second or even second. I batch download the images and also do a rename of the files in this format yyyymmdd-###. I am finding my action sequences are all out of order. What I really just need the Downloader to do is sort by sequential camera number just like it comes out of the camera. Then all the images would be renamed in the right order. I tried modifying the XML settings file but that was no help.  Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2013 1:28 AM   in reply to deepop11

See this recent post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1249400?tstart=30

From what I can understand, there are three problems:

1 - the inability of PSE11 to sort by filenames (recognized by Adobe, hopefully solved in ulterior versions...)

2 - the difference of behaviour of the downloader and the organizer (to my knowledge, not reported before)

3 - the fact that the 1/100th of seconds do not seem to be written to the exif by the camera. They are not saved in the sqlite database either...

That means that the difference of behaviour should be explained. If the organizer is able to show pictures in the right order when the date/times are set identically for a series of pictures, that means it is able to use the alphanumeric filename sort as a secondary criteria - the downloader should be corrected to do so.

Another question : besides renaming your files at download, do you use the automatic date folder creation of the downloader ?

Reported, you can add your vote:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/new

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 11:18 PM   in reply to deepop11

All previous versions did sort by alphabetical order when in folder view.  I don't have PSE10 at hand just now, but that sort in folder view is independent of the downloader. It's possible the downloader exhibited the same behaviour, I'll have to check it later ; if so, the 'batch import' order may have been wrong in older versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 2:06 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Other tests :

Similar (and wrong) sort results when doing the same download in PSE11

No sorting problem with downloading in PSE6

But...

Looking at the card with Windows explorer, and sorting by date modified, I do find the wrong sort order resulting in PSE11 via the downloader.

So, the sort by date is also wrong in Windows explorer when reading the original card...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points