Skip navigation
audio90
Currently Being Moderated

When exporting to WMV, got "windows media is out of memory the operation failed"

Jul 7, 2013 10:48 PM

Hi there, I'm on Windows 7, Premiere Elements 9. Files are AVCHD and I have lots of HDD space and RAM.

I've never had a problem exporting long WMV's in the past, like 2 to 3 hours long. This weekend I've been trying to export a 40 minute WMV and I keep getting the "windows media is out of memory the operation failed" and that Premiere is running out of memory. My scratch discs are on the computer and I've pre-rendered the project.

I even tried to export in WMV 8, rather than 9. No luck. Does anyone know what is going on and how I can export the project?

Thanks,

Ronald

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2013 5:21 AM   in reply to audio90

When did you last run Disk Cleanup and the Defragmenter? Operations like you describe need large amounts of contiguous free hard drive space.

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive(s)?

Also, where is your project file (.prel) saved? Is it saved inside its own directory folder? Try doing a Save As and saving your project under a new name, in a new folder and see if that makes any difference. (After you've cleaned up your drive and defragged, of course.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to audio90

Ronald,

In addition to Steve's very important questions, I have another:

What else is running on your computer (often launched "behind the scenes," at bootup), while you are editing? Most computers have a lot of unnecessary programs, and processes, that launch at start, and can really eat up computer resources. You can check to see what gets loaded with MSCONFIG, and then looking at the Startup and Services Tabs.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points