Skip navigation
candygirl918
Currently Being Moderated

Problem Importing Sequence and Changing Speed

Jul 7, 2013 11:09 PM

Got a good one.  I imported 2 sequences into a new project, but when I try to change the speed to anything over 100%, the end of the clip is black.  If I try cutting this part out, what happens is the black screen increases, chopping off more of the clip/sequence!!!  I've tried everything, and I know it has to do with the sequence being imported, but is there a workaround for this??  I've even tried putting a title/image in another video track, and same thing happens - more black screen, that cuts off even more of the clip.  Help please!! 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to candygirl918

How exactly are you changing the speed, and on what?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to candygirl918

Nest the sequence and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to candygirl918

I have run into this bug as well.  It worked fine in CS5 (the last version I used before CC).  You could nest a sequence and then adjust the speed of that sequence.

Using AVCHD footage if it matters, I nest several clips into a sequence, change the speed of the sequence (in my case I wanted to reverse all the footage).

The footage cuts in and out but is mostly blank when I play or preview.  But if I select the sequence and modify the motion property, the footage shows up like it should while I'm adjusting it (in it's low res preview mode).  But once I place it and unselect the clip, the footage disappears again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 6:14 PM   in reply to candygirl918

You don't need to go back to the original project.  You can change anything you need to on the imported assets.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to candygirl918

Something isn't right here.

If you import a sequence into a different project, it's identical to the sequence in the original project.  You can do whatever you want to the imported assets and everything will behave exactly as it does in the original project.  Your claiming that's not so, but it should be.  I suspect we're not getting all the correct/relevant details.

Taking a step back, list the exact steps you take after importing the sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 9:11 PM   in reply to candygirl918

4) clicking on "speed/duration", and changing the speed to, let's say "125%",

Ok, back to my question of post 1.  Where exactly are you doing this?  To the individual clips, or to the nested sequence?

I suspect the former, given the results.  And this is perfectly normal.  When you speed up the footage, it takes less time and creates a shorter sequence, but the nest doesn't automatically shrink to compensate, so the last bit of it will be black.  It's no different than if you were to remove a couple of clips from the original sequence.  All you need do is trim the nested sequence back to the last frame of footage.

Or you could make the speed changes first and then nest it afterwards.  Then there would be no black.  (And this is what you were seeing when you went back to the first project and changed it there.  The end result was that the speed changed before you nested.  The black only shows up when you shorten the original after nesting.)

So, bottom line, everything is working normally.  You were just unaware of how it worked.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points