• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Long Hyperlink is broken into two lines in PDF/HTML, therefore, the link can't be opened.

Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A long hyper link http://docs.oasis-open.org/ebxml-msg/ebms/v3.0/core/os/ebms_core-3.0-spec-os.html works fine in Framemaker. Because it is too long, so it is displayed in two lines in FM. "http://docs.oasis-open.org/ebxml-msg/ebms/v3.0/core/os/ebms_core-3.0-spe" is the first line.

After conversion, when you click the link in PDF or HTML help, you are lead to "http://docs.oasis-open.org/ebxml-msg/ebms/v3.0/core/os/ebms_core-3.0-spe" only, so the link can't be opened.

I tried Save Book As PDF and Print, both didn't work.

Could you please help identify this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be at some remove from your question, and I agree it's wrong that line breaks should interfere with hyperlinks … but if you're using a hyperlink to take readers to the EBMS Core spec from a .pdf why not just use "EBMS Core spec" as the link text? For readers who want, need or prefer to copy/paste the URL into their browser, you can provide the full URL in the body, as a footnote or in a "Related links" section.

N

hyperlink.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neils,

Thank you very much for your reply. It's really a good way to solve the problem.

I alo find another method: put the hyperlink marker in the middle of the long hyperlink. I have tested the hyperlink works in both PDF and HTML.

Thanks again!

Chunlei

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it helped! Here's two tips from my FM 7.0 User Guide; I think they still apply.

• To prevent extra spacing in the hypertext command when exporting, insert your markers at the beginning of end of a word
  • Hypertext commands … can be up to 256 characters long

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer,

Did you not only place a hyperlink marker inside of the web address but also apply apply a character format to the whole text of the web address?

In that case the whole text should serve as a hyperlink regardless of spaces or line breaks.

This is explained in the online help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/WSd817046a44e105e21e63e3d11ab7f7960b-7e83.html

Your description sounds as if you rely only on the automatic URL detection in Acrobat. In the Acrobat preferences in the General tab there is an option "Create links from URL". Usually this is activated. It means that Acrobat tries to find out automatically what could be a web address. Often this automatic approach is not correct.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know, Winfried, I'd never even noticed there was such as thing as automatic URL detection! I'd assumed Jennifer was following the "classic" route of selecting the URL, applying a hyperlink style and setting the hyperlink command – must count as classic, because that's the way I'd do it  Thanks for this nugget of extra information.

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines