Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Will InDesign CC update placed Word docs?

Jul 8, 2013 11:42 PM

Tags: #word #update #indesign #synchronize #incopy #place #ms

Products:

MS Word 2013

InDesign CC

InCopy CC

Hi everyone.

I have a collection of chapters in MS Word format (2013 .docx version) that contain citations, endnotes, and includes an extensive bibliography.

I know that if I place an InCopy (IC) doc into InDesign (ID), any updates I make in either version of the file are automatically synchronized. For this reason, I really prefer to use InCopy... but ID and IC are a bit weak when it comes to endnotes and bibliographies.

I recently placed a Word doc into ID, updated the text within ID, saved the doc, closed the doc, and then opened the Word doc. The Word doc remained unchanged and did not reflect the changes I made to the placed version of the text within ID.

Is it possible for me to place a Word doc into ID and have it automatically update with any changes I make to its text while in ID, like what happens with IC files?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2013 1:01 AM   in reply to Stephen Buck

It depends on your settings in the program preferences:

Preferences > File Handling > Create Links when placing text and spreadsheet files.

If this option active changes of Word Documents will be updated (and edits in InDesign will be lost completely).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 4:01 AM   in reply to Stephen Buck

Stephen Buck wrote:

Is it possible for me to place a Word doc into ID and have it automatically update with any changes I make to its text while in ID, like what happens with IC files?

If by this you mean can edits made in ID be transferred back to word, then no.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

The problem is that all formatting will be lost when updating the text. There is a third party plug-in that preservers formatting and works like a charm: Em software Wordsflow. It is not cheap however, 200 dollars and also not yet compatible with CC (latest supported version is CS6).

info: http://www.emsoftwarestore.com/wordsflow.html

Do you need to have a workflow like this on a regular basis I advice you to take a look at InCopy, now part of the CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to Stephen Buck

It occurs to me that while you cannot do an automatic update from ID back into the Word file, you can, at any point, export the story from ID to RTF, if that would be "good enough."

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to Stephen Buck

Hello, Stephen,

it will be possible in InDesign CC with this plugin called WordsFlow, when they release it specially for CC.

Now it supports only CS5–CS6 versions of InDesign.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points