Skip navigation
Akshay_13
Currently Being Moderated

I am new to EPUB fomat and I am facing a lot of difficulties in exporting my work from InDesign CS6

Jul 8, 2013 10:02 PM

Tags: #epub #epub_export #unexpeted_epub_page_breaks #epublishing

Hi..I am new to EPUB fomat and I am facing a lot of difficulties in exporting my work from InDesign CS6. The problem is that I have got a financial report of about 100pages to export as EPUB, with lots of graphs etc..and when I export it, to EPUB 2.0, the following happens:

1. The image quality is quite low (even if the original images are of high quality, and during export, i put the image to max quality)
2. The graphs do not appear where they should be! All the imags in fact appear after the long paragraphs of text..meaning everything appear quite messy and in an unordered manner.
I have read that images should be anchored, and doing so, the result is quite better, but still, some images appear at the end of the text!!d

That is, the end result, in terms of pagination and graphics, is no way like it should have been, compared to the indesign file (page 5 is displayed after page 10, image on page 4 appears on page 9 etc..)

PLEASE HELP..

P.S :
I am using Adobe digital edition to view my EPUB..I have also tried CALIBRE and SIGIL!! But I am not too sharp in eiting CSS codes etc...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2013 1:42 AM   in reply to Akshay_13

Hi,

Which format are your images originally in and what image conversion setting did you choose in epub export options dialog? If you are exporting as JPEG, choose JPEG in Image Conversion and "High" in Image Quality in JPEG Options in epub export options dialog.

For the ordering problem, you can use Articles Panel. This is available under Window->Articles. You can create a new article and add content to it. The order in the article is the order in which the objects will appear in exported EPUB. There is one more setting you have to choose for the ordering to based on Articles Panel. Select "Same as Articles Panel" in content order in EPUB export options dialog (This option is available in General Tab) while exporting to EPUB.

Regards,

Pooja

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 10:52 PM   in reply to Akshay_13

Hi Akshay,

If you want your images to appear standalone with no other page item on the page, then you can insert Page break on an image.

This is how you can specify a page break:

1. Select the image

2. Goto Object->Object Export Options

3. Select EPUB and HTML tab

4. Select Custom Layout check box and then check Insert Page break. You can select from the option in the dropdown-Before Image, After Image, Before and After Image as per your requirement.

Regarding your question about images:

You export your graphs as JPEG but are those JPEGs of good resolution? If they are, then InDesign is doing something wrong during export but if the JPEGs are not of good quality then it is not an export issue. Please provide some more details here.

Regards,

Pooja

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to Akshay_13

Hi Akshay,

The text boxes will not display with their background color unless Custom Rasterisation is set for the text frames in which case, the text frame will be rasterised with the exact appearance.

If you want a text frame with background fill, make it custom anchored. Only anchored text frames get the background fill in EPUB as of now.

BTW, I am glad to hear that your EPUB project is 90% complete

Regards,

Pooja

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points