Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

flash with mp4 fallback plays both videos

Jul 10, 2013 3:12 AM

Tags: #flash #video #mp4 #html5 #fallback

hello everyone,

I have a flash with a mp4 fall back that is not functioning how it should.

if flash is disabled it works great(besides some css issues, ha)

but if flash is enabled it loads both videos, now i found some ppl online with this issue but wasnt able to apply the solutions to my situation.  I almost think the flash is displayed twice, plus the other, but not sure, just need a second look.

-

-

<div id="flashcontent" style="width:560px;height:425px;position:absolute;left:200;top:100;z-index:2;">

<embed id="player" width="100%" height="100%" flashvars="conf=blah" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" menu="false" swliveconnect="true" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" name="player" style="undefined" src="http://www.deafboyzaudio.com/videos/misc/flash/VidiScript_player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

</div>

<script language="javascript">
var so = new SWFObject("http://www.deafboyzaudio.com/videos/misc/flash/VidiScript_player.swf", "player", "100%", "100%", 8, "#000000");

so.addParam("quality", "high");

so.addParam("swLiveConnect", "true");

so.addParam("menu", "false");

so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "always");

so.addParam("allowFullScreen", "true");

so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");

so.addParam("FlashVars", "conf=blah");

so.write("flashcontent");

</script>

<noscript><span class="red">You must have Javascript enabled for full page functionality.</span></noscript>

<div id="player" style="height:426px;">

<video id="movie" width="560" height="420" autoplay="" controls="">

</video>

</div>

-

-

also im having issues with the controls showing up on the stock html5 player, they show up if i change the zindex, so i know that the issue.  Maybe someone would see a simple fix for that with firebug as well.

here is a link to the offending page:

thanks a lot guys

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to DeafBoyzAudio

I use PicklePlayer.  It works seamlessly with one video file type (mp4 or m4V for web).  Works in all devices and browsers.  Also supports poster frames and playlists.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 8:53 PM   in reply to DeafBoyzAudio

Nancy's right. You'll save yourself a lot of time and trouble building one solution that works in ALL formats instead of wracking your brains trying to make one that may or may not work everywhere and another that is a backup if the first doesn't function.

If they're both the same video, just go with PicklePlayer and load one video that desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones can all access.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 10:28 PM   in reply to DeafBoyzAudio

"...what im trying to do is done all the time"

That's as may be, but with more and more people uisng their phones to access websites, (and Flash doesn't work with smartphones... at all) designing with it makes less and less sense with every passing week, even if you have a workaround. All you're doing is making more work and using more space on a server for something that could be easily avoided by not using Flash at all, and going with an HTML 5, universally accessible format for the video.

Also, people with Flash blocking plugins in their browsers may not even get to the "backup" video depending on their settings. They'll just see a blank space and the plugin will block any script having to do with the Flash content. I tested this a few years ago with an SWF placed in a DIV with an animsated GIF background image in case the SWF wouldn't play. "FlashBlocker" for Firefox rendered a transparent open space in the middle of the page.

I can't offer any scripting solution for this, and even if I could I'd still advise against it, because you can't change or work around every possible setting in every possible browser/plugin combination with a script. One way or another, you'll render Flash or all of the content invisible to someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Mike M

I have to agree with everything CF McBlob said.  And I'll go one step further and tell you that what you're trying to do is completely bassackwards.  Flash is normally used as a fallback for Mozilla which doesn't play MP4s.   MP4s are more widely supported so they should not be used as the fallback.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to DeafBoyzAudio

? html 5 video streams as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status