Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video file size in Encore

Jul 10, 2013 2:36 AM

I'm using Encore CS4.  I'm creating a project with several HD video files and a menu to select which video to watch.  The video files have already been transcoded from the original Pr Pro project and are in H.264.  In the Project tab of Encore the size of one of the videos is correctly listed as 3GB, but in the Timelines tab it says Encoded Size 1.58GB.  Why?  Does this mean it intends to downscale the video to a lower definition?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2013 4:24 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Your H.264 assets are presumably still HD -1920x1080, 1440x1080, or 1280x720?  If so, then Encore will have to transcode them to a DVD legal format, i.e. mpeg2 Standard Definition video.  That will create files of reduced size.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Ah, sorry I made the wrong assumption there!

I have checked some old Encore projects of mine, and where the assets were imported in a BR legal format, they show as the same size on both tabs.

Your H.264 assets are definitely a Blu-ray legal form, are they, because if not, Encore would transcode them again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to Alan Craven

Your H.264 assets are definitely a Blu-ray legal form, are they,

Tim, to check this, look at the transcode status column for bluray in the project bin. It should show "do not transcode."

I have checked some old Encore projects of mine, and where the assets were imported in a BR legal format, they show as the same size on both tabs.

That is valuable info, and suggests that there is a problem with the legality of the asset. But Encore does some odd things with bluray assets, so who knows.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 5:45 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

There is lots of H.264 that is not bluray legal. You don't say; did you use H.264 Bluray as the preset? (Rather than just plain H.264.) Did you change anything in the settings?

Export a short bit as a test; import that and see if it matters.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 7:01 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Some programs are not as insistent on Bluray spec. Generally, more stringent to spec, the more compatible the disks. But no guarantee either way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 7:53 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Most often it is just reducing the bitrate to what you have set in the transcode settings. But you want to avoid Encore re-transcoding if you have already transcoded to anything compressed. So I would go back to exporting from PR/AME as H.264 Bluray.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 11:08 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

At least my second guess was on the ball!  Sorry about misleading you at first!

My motto when having problems with a project is to always accept the defaults.

VBR 2 pass is worthwhile when you are forced into a low bitrate due to the length of the asset, but otherwise with H.264, single pass gives excellent results, it is such an efficient codec. Also, as Stan says above, always avoid a double transcode.  that definitely leads to quality drop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Are you sure that you are looking at the Blu-ray column.  It is usually the DVD columns that show in the default project window, and you have to scroll right to see the Blu-ray columns.

For some reason, Encore still has all the data columns for DVD when you are in a Blu-ray project, and vice versa.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

I've had the Encore wanting to transcode what I thought were Blu-ray legal assets in the past, but always when I thought I knew better and altered the default settings in the AME Blu-ray preset.

If the assets are legal, then you can build image/folder/disk relatively quickly, and there will be no transcoding of the video.  Depending on your project settings the audio may have to be transcoded.

Another shot in the dark - are you in PAL land?  If so, your only legal option for Blu-ray is 25i.  You can export 25p from Premiere, but Encore will not accept it without transcoding.

I assume that you are exporting your Premiere timeline via Export>Media usiong AME, and the standard H.264 blu-ray preset.  Have you tried the mpeg2 blu-ray preset to see if that produces an Encore acceptable file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Are you sure your project is set to PAL? (Sorry; had to ask!)

The size problems you are having are with timeline assets, not menus, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Can you post a screenshot where you are setting it to 1440x1080?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

You are in the "Edit Quality Presets" window. FYI, in CS6 (probably in CS5 too), this is labeled as such at the top rather than "Export Settings." See a second issue after the screenshots.

The issue is that this window defines a preset. It allows you to modify the basic settings, and then save them with your own name. BUT, the preset is not applied to your asset until you pick it from the "Transcode Settings" window.

In the following image, the "Stan Custom" is a preset I made in the "Export Settings" [CS4] window (called "Edit Quality Presets" windows in CS6). In the4 drop down, you can see that "Automatic" is applied. I can change that by selecting the Custom option or any other option in this list.

EN Transcode Settings.png

To check w hich option is applied, without going into this window, just look at the transcode setting in the project panel.

EN Project Bin Transcode Settings.png

Second issue: in your screenshot, the source size shows as 720X480. I don't think that is what you want. This means that the asset you are applying the setting to is not HD. Probably, you just picked that one to show the settings, but if this is the actual source file, that's a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

me assuming "Export Settings" was for setting the export settings - how naiive.

Indeed. Adobe apparently decided you were on their wild goose chase when they renamed that window to a better name.

I set it to Build the Blu-ray image, and it works away at it for 9 hours, then when it is 6 seconds from the finish of building the image it freezes, then over the next 2 hours the remaining time indicated in the window slowly creeps up to 1min 24 seconds, at which point I aborted the whole sad process.

Argh! Wouldn't you like to catch a break?

In CS4 (I thnk), do-over bluray builds required deleting the authorscript files that are created as part of that process. In CS6, these files are deleted automatically.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/670174?tstart=0

Sorry, don't remember what is above, but, if you haven't, separate the transcode step from the build by using "transcode now" before building. Most of the 9 hours is surely the timeline asset transcodes. Whether you did or not, check the transcode status; it may have completed and be okay.

There are some processes (I don't think the build should be one of them, and yes, your project is probably messed up), that transfer from a  temporary directory. This can take a lot of time depending on your configuration and computer power. And CS4 was still a 32 bit app.

All that said, I would probably start a new fresh Encore project (new name so nothing is carried over within Encore) and see that helps. If you files were finally transcoded and you believe them okay, I would import them "as timeline," and they should not require transcoding.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 8:41 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

The bitrates are different. If you select the exact same preset, then the preset vary between the two programs.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points