Skip navigation
wobering
Currently Being Moderated

Copying chapters within same book causes duplicate markers

Jul 10, 2013 11:12 AM

Tags: #framemaker10 #cross-reference #marker_text

When copying chapters within the same book, the newly created copy caries with it the memory of all the previously created markers defined within it.  Frame seems to be ok with keeping track of this, but the problem I have is when I convert the book to a MS help file using Robohelp.  All those duplicate markers cause Robohelp to create links to the wrong locations.

I there anyway to get Frame to correctly update the text within the markers (and their associated links) when copying (or even just adding) chapters to a book?  The book I am working with has 64 chapters in it, and it is a real waste of time to have to go in and manually change hundreds of markers and cross-references when making changes/additions to the chapters.

Thank you. ###################

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to wobering

Why do you need new copies of the same content?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to wobering

Open the duplicate file, search for markers of a specific marker type (whatever they are), and replace with nothing. It deletes all the markers of that type within the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to wobering

I don't know if you'll find an easy way out of what you've done so far, but I'd suggest creating unique content with unique markers and then making use of Fm's text reuse features like variables, text insets, and cross-references.

Beyond those features, you can also consider a content management system, which will also assist in these issues.

If each piece of content is used, managed, and referenced in a unique way, you will most likely avoid all the issues you're facing now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 3:45 PM   in reply to wobering

Hope it helped...

You can set the Find/Change to search the marker text, ensuring the uniqueness of each marker, but I don't see a way of automating the process. I'd check with Rick Quatro and Scott Prentice to see if they might script your way out of this rabbit hole.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points