EE31415
Currently Being Moderated

Rotate pdf

Jul 10, 2013 1:03 PM

Rotate pdf in illustrator. Opened a pdf to edit and the page is rotated 90°

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to EE31415

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Elaborate.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to EE31415

If the pdf in acrobat is not matching rotation when you open up in Illustrator, then my guess is someone rotated in acrobat.

Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 3.28.27 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to EE31415

EE31415 wrote:

I can open them with acrobat pro and rotate to the correct view and save it.

That is what is causing the rotation in Illustrator. What happens if you simply open the PDF without rotating it in Acrobat first?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to EE31415

EE,

If all else fails, what is wrong with opening it as is and then unrotating it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to EE31415

The drawings have been scanned...or they have been printed to a pdf...have been around for years and years and there are thousands...what i cannot do, is edit the drawing or the text that is there without exporting it to a jpg file... I know illustrator can do it but this not be able to rotate the page thing is frustrating...i like illustrator better because we can open autocad files...

I strongly suspect you are in for a lot more frustration than just having to rotate the content of an import.

JPEG is a raster image format. Illustrator cannot edit raster images.

Just because something is saved as a PDF doesn't meant it consists of vector-based paths which can be edited in a program like Illustrator. PDF is a "meta format"; think of it as a container which can contain any combination of raster images, vector paths, and text objects.

When you import .dwg or .dxf files that are exported from a CAD program, you are importing vector-based artwork that can be translated into a general-purpose drawing program's (like Illustrator) native Bezier paths. That is not at all the same thing as scanning a drawing (thereby creating a raster image), saving it as a PDF (merely containing the raster image in a PDF format "wrapper"), and opening the PDF in Illustrator (merely importing the contained raster image).

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 5:29 AM   in reply to EE31415

EE,

We are not just talking about selecting the artwork/image and Object>Transform>Rotate by 90 (or -90) degrees, are we?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to EE31415

Correct rotate the artwork, and to rotate the artboard.

1. Click on artboard tool (or ShIft O)
    2. Click on the icon with the person that is not depressed

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 8.43.13 AM.png

To clear up on acrobat rotation, what happens there is a line of code is just added with the command that only acrobat recognizes, so in Illustrator the rotation does not happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to EE31415

For my part you are welcome, EE.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers