Skip navigation
ericguevara83
Currently Being Moderated

Font Effect Help

Jul 10, 2013 5:11 PM

photo-3.JPG

I came across this on a design blog and was wanting to learn how to create this.. can anyone help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to ericguevara83

Read up on Layer Masks.  That's an ƒ shaped mask over the image of the flowers.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,057 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 10, 2013 10:15 PM   in reply to ericguevara83

There are two types of layer mask.  One type is like a grayscale raster layer the other is a vector mask. They can be use together.   Vectors scale better and can distort thing sharply or feathered. Raster mask are easy to paint on.  Here distorted the small k and I painted over the water Lilly to reveal it some.Masking.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,974 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 10, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to JJMack

Are you guys not going to mention the the little overlap from the example?    Personally, with such tiny areas, I'd paint them out of the mask free hand with the tablet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 10:32 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Are you guys not going to mention the the little overlap from the example?    Personally, with such tiny areas, I'd paint them out of the mask free hand with the tablet.

It goes without saying.  That's the only way to fly.  The additional painted areas on the mask become part of said mask, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 11:11 PM   in reply to ericguevara83

ericguevara83 wrote:

Thank you all for the responses. I am aware of how to create layer masks but the little overlaps is where I was at a dead end so, painting them is the solution?

I'd just paint them in. Or, if you feel it needs to be very accurate, create a path for the overlaps and fill that to add it to the mask.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,974 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 10, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to inflame_media

Yes, get as far as clipping the text to the flower image.  You could then make a selection of the flowers with quick select and refine edge, and then select the layer mask that is clipping the text to the flowers, and use a white brush to paint inside the selection where you want the flowers to overlap.

Another way, and if was at all a complex project, I would carefully select the flowers as above, and copy the selection to a new layer at the top of the stack.  I could then return to that selection at any time by Ctrl clicking it.  I'd probably lock i=the layer's transparent pixels, and add a layer mask using the Alt key to 'hide all'.  The you could paint in the overlaps where wanted.

A quick point, but depending on what method I'd used to clip the text to the flowers, I might want to unlink the mask from the text so I could move the mask, rotate or Transform, in order to place the best flower arrangment behind it.

I had a little play earlier (but forgot to save it) and made a copy of the entire flower layer, and used a painterly filter on the top one.  I also clipped a levels layer to it and raised the black output slider to make it flat and a lighter.  That made a nice background befind the clipped flowers with the full tonal range.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,057 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 11, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to JJMack

What is good about using two mask is they are separate but composted together.  So You can always keep the sharp vector text mask.  And paint the flower. Should you mess up or want a better selection.  You can delete the raster layer mask. Display the background layer make a quick selection of the flower.  Turn on the overlay layer, target it and add the quick selection as a layer mask.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points