Skip navigation
shjaredarj
Currently Being Moderated

Perspective - designed paper on a table

Jul 10, 2013 8:36 PM

Tags: #illustrator #perspective

I would like to take designed invitations (some have photos, some graphics, all have text) and give them a perspective to look as if they have been printed and are sitting out to be viewed, like on a table.    I have reviewed some perspective tutorials, and understand that feature somewhat.  A few problems I'm having.

When I place the invitation on the horizontal plane it angles it to the left or right, when I really just want it to lay directly in front (without a rotation).

Invitations with jpgs won't go into perspective.

What is the best way to accomplish this look?  Is it best done in photoshop?  I prefer illustrator--because I'm more familiar with it, but will do it in whatever program will give me the best look.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to shjaredarj

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, providing some screenshots that show what you're going to do may help to understand your request.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to shjaredarj

shjaredarj,

The way I (mis)understand it, you may:

1) Create a rectangle round all the objects (unnecessary if the largest object holding the others, if any),

2) Group everything, then Object>Envelope Distort>Make with Mesh, just set 1 row and 1 column,

3) With the Free Transform Tool ClickDrag one of the top corners towards the middle, when you have just started dragging hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift, and drag until you have the perspective you wish.

This should create a symmetric perspective distortion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to shjaredarj

You are welcome, shjaredarj.

Wrapping it in an Envelope should enable you to send even a raster image to the table surface (I was too slow editing post #2).

My description may have been a bit too woolly:

You should ClickDrag horizontally towards the middle of the top segment of the rectangle, not the centre of the rectangle.

And let go of the mouse before letting go of the keys

I hope you will report your findings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to shjaredarj

I think I would probably start off by drawing all the stuff flat, as if you were looking straight down at the table.

Then make a symbol of it all.

Draw a rectangle the same shape as the table top and go to Effect > 3D > Extrude & Bevel. Set Extrude Depth as 0 unless you want a thickness.

Map the symbol onto the rectangle and play with the rotation angles.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points