Skip navigation
moongirlcw
Currently Being Moderated

Creating flowable text in box for epub

Jul 10, 2013 10:15 PM

Tags: #text #epub #flowing_text #object_resizing

I'm new to creating epubs and am using InDesign CC.

I'm trying to create flowable text within a box. I want the box to always remain the width of the column and the text to reflow within that.

Been trying a million things and can't find a tutorial. Help!

Thanks.

CW

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2013 10:36 PM   in reply to moongirlcw

A text frame in InDesign when exported to EPUB, does not have a height and width associated with it to support text reflow. If you want to have a text frame with fixed height, this is what you can do:

1. create a blank text frame

2. create another text frame, fill with text and anchor it to previous one.

3. select the text frame(created in step-2) and set Autosize-Width only from text frame options

4. export to epub

Since the main text frame is blank, epub will contain just one text frame and since it is anchored it will have fixed width.

Regards,

Pooja

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 11:50 PM   in reply to moongirlcw

I think the grey box now will be of fixed width if autosize width only is set on it. No need of a blank text frame now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 1:38 AM   in reply to moongirlcw

Ok...I got your problem now. You can edit your epub to remove width attribute on inline anchored text frame. It is pretty simple:

1. Download Sigil (It is an open source EPUB editing tool)

2. Open your epub in Sigil

3. Open CSS (idGeneratedStyles.CSS) and remove the width attribute on the div class.

There must be block like this:

div._idGenPageItem-1

{

background-color:#009fe3;

width:422 px;

}

Remove width from this block and save.

Hope you get the expected result after this step.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to moongirlcw

What you have attached is the snapshot of HTML and not the CSS. There is a CSS file which appears in styles folder in Sigil. You have to open the CSS and find the construct I have listed above. Please let me know if you are still not able to find the code, I will attach the snapshot and guide you through.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to pooja2087

Good morning,

Thank you for this excellent advice. I was experiencing the same issues as moongirlcw and managed to fix my text boxes in the CSS.

One question: Is there a way to export the changes made to anchored text frames' width in the CSS and apply them to the Indesign file? This way, I wouldn't have to mock around in the CSS everytime I wish to update my Indesign file and produce a new version of my epub.

Many thanks!

M.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to Morgane_adobe13

@Morgane,

Adobe has made major changes in improving export to EPUB, and they're working very hard to add improvements. (If you look in this forum regularly, you'll see postings by Adobe engineer Douglas Waterfall, who's working in this area.) However, there's not such a way to apply changes from CSS back to InDesign, and I doubt there ever will be. There are too many differences between InDesign styling and CSS for that to be possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to Morgane_adobe13

You don't have "mock around with the CSS everytime" anyway. Just assign that CSS on export.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 6:17 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thank you for the quick response. I'm not sure what you mean by "assign that CSS on export." Could you walk me through it?

Many thanks!
    Morgane 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to Morgane_adobe13

In the Advanced panel on EPUB export, choose Add Style Sheet and select the CSS file you'd like to use.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points