Skip navigation
nellipope
Currently Being Moderated

Does Illustrator CS6 have a similiar interactive transparency tool to CorelDraw's

Jul 11, 2013 12:54 AM

Just getting the hang of Illustrator after using CorelDraw extensively for many years. One of the most frustrating issues is the ommission of a tool I used to use often in Corel. The tool was a transparency gradient tool, say I drew a big red box I could click on the transparency tool in the toolbox, click anywhere on the red box, then drag to another point (in any direction) on the box or even outside it and the box would contain a transparency gradient. I cannot find a similar tool in Illustrator, not without setting a gradient, setting the angle, changing the second colour to opaque, its rather user un friendly and doesnt edit in 'real time'. This tool was brilliant for creating blends (instead of using the blend tool) and creating 3D type graphics or fonts that had highlights. Remember those glass buttons we all used to create?

Surely the latest version of Illustrator can do this? What am I missing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to nellipope

Whatyou are missing is thattey are different products.

What you might like to is to read about the gradient annotator. That will allow you to drag the gradient tool in any direction and adjus things like the midway point and the color and the degree of transparency for each color stop and will also allow you add and remove color stops live and interactively as you desire.

Reading the help files will help you learn about Illustrrators features.

For instance you can have more than one fill for an object and you can have more than one gradient fill for that object as well and you can use the annotator on each of theose gradient fills separately and independent of the other gradient fills.

What you describes sounds convenient but does it offer the other possibilities?

Illustraor is not as convenient as other apps but it does have some very powerful features, look at the Appearance panel to learn about multiple fills and effects.

BTW creating a trans[parent gradient I would think you would want control or opacity.

You can also make gradient swatches and reuse them at will and the anotator will be avaialable for them as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points