• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp Bold Formatting Display Different in IE 9 Display

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are displaying generated WebHelp system in an IE 9 browser, so different than before when our system ran in IE 7.  We are using RH 8. In IE 7 browser, bold formatting displayed as expected as it appeared in the project and our system.  But our system to which the WebHelp is integrated is now running in an IE 9 or IE 10 browser. 

But now the bolding of words displays differently in IE 9 browser, depending on whether the HTML code is "<p style="font-weight: bold;">" [followed by a <span style="font-weight: normal;"> further in the paragraph], OR "<p><span style="font-weight: bold;">".  It is a noticeable difference - with the font-size appearing larger.

In the project, for example, the HTML code is:

<p><span style="font-weight: bold;">Threshold</span> - The criteria associated

with the alert message. </p>

<p style="font-weight: bold;">Request Date - <span style="font-weight: normal;">The

date and time when the alert request was added to the queue.</span></p>

<p style="font-weight: bold;">Scheduled Date - <span style="font-weight: normal;">The

date and time when the alert request will be processed</span><span style="font-weight: normal;">&#160;</span>

BoldFormatDisplayProblem.jpg

In the generated WebHelp topic displayed in IE 9 browser, I did a View Source on the topic to troubleshoot.  What I see that's different is that somehow an additional "<b>" tag got added to the bolded text that was formatted with "<p><span style="font-weight: bold;">.  So the View Source now looks like this:

<p><span style="font-weight: bold;"><b>Threshold</b></span>

- The criteria associated with the alert message.

</p>

< p style="font-weight: bold;">Request Date - <span style="font-weight: normal;">The

date and time when the alert request was added to the queue.</span></p>

Somehow this discrepancy in the HTML coding of the bold formatting got resolved correctly in IE prior to IE 9.  As you can imagine, to correct this manually throughout a Help project with hundreds of topics would take an enormous effort on my part. The correct display is formatted with the <p> tag containing the style attribute of bold.

As suggested in other threads, I checked my CSS, and the <p> tag has "font-weight=normal".  So, as far as I can tell, it's not the stylesheet - though I would love a global solution like that.  Also, the same bolding issue is happening on text within paragraphs.

So, I'm desperate here!!  Please help with any solutions, as soon as you can.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just checking features for RoboHelp 10, to see if that would fix the problem for IE 9 .  Not sure, but is probably a good idea to upgrade from our RH 8. 

Still need ideas and answers on our problem here with the extra bolding.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the RH 10 trial version.  I generated my gigantic project into WebHelp.  Since I don't have IE 9, I copied the WebHelp to a virtual that does have IE 9.  Then launched the Help from there.  AND... all the bolding was displaying correctly!!  And the View Source showed in the HTML that there was no double-bolding of text, with the added "<b>".

So, that's my update, in case anyone is reading this.  Let me know if you have any additional suggestions or comments.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There was a problem where bold text appeared as what was described as superbold. Perhaps the fix for that in RH10 is what has fixed your problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp