Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

HELP When I opened Premiere Elements 10 half of the picture is blocked out

Jul 11, 2013 4:50 PM

Tags: #problem #help #premiere_elements #elements_10 #blue_screen_key #block_out

I have spent ages on this movie and all of a sudden half of the pictures I have blue screened on are blocked out. I thought it just hadn't loaded properly so I reopened it and uploaded it to youtube but it still stayed the same. It has been fine until now What has happened and what can I do please???????

adobe help what has happened.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

hamishandandyarecool

You may be the 3rd today with the Windows Update issue. Please check out the following to see if any of that applies to you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1252167?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1252804?tstart=0

I wonder though since your screenshot does not seem to look like the other 2 who had the issue described in the thread cited.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 6:03 PM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

hamishandandyarecool

Your issue is not fitting the mold of the other two, but, if you find the kb2803821 mentioned, I would give it a try.

Once we rule out the kb influence, then we can look at your issue from a different angle, including clarification on the relationship of the screenshot posted to "half the picture is blocked out".

We will be watching for the follow up and be ready for alternative resolutions, if needed.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

Thanks for reporting back. It is very helpful to know that the effects of the update are not just limited to 'top half' of the screen problems.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

hamishandanydandyarecool

Great news. And, its extends the information on the issues raised by this kb update.

Thanks for the follow which is important to us all.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

hamishandanydanyarecool

You are never going to believe this.

Up to the last time I used my Windows 7 64 bit computer with Premiere Elements (about 1 am this morning), I was having no problem with the display.

Just now I went to do some troubleshooting with a .wmv file that I use all the time for mini test runs only to get 1/2 the display.

halfdisplay.JPG

Windows Updates

and what was described as

Microsoft Windows

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2803821)

7/11/2013

was found and deleted and solved the problem. Apparently the KB number is different in Windows 7 than XP. In my Window 7 64 bit, the KB number to be deleted was KB2803821. In Windows XP, I was told it is KB2834904.

ATR

Things are now back to normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Adobe have now issued a help bulletin "WMV files corrupted on import or export". Maybe the Announcement at the top of the forum page could be updated to link to the bulletin.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to nealeh

Nealeh

Hunt was the one who was behind setting up the Announcement last night about this matter when I asked him about distributing the information long term. He should see your post and add that to the Announcement if he has not already.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to nealeh

Neale,

Done.

Thank you,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Thanks.

I am not sure of the Adobe approach of rolling back the Updates to get rid of that one KB security update..

If found it easier to delete the specific KB that was applicable to my computer operating system.

ATR

Add On...In spite of the Announcement, a new 1/2 Missing WMV post has appeared moments ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I do not use WMV's that often, so had not seen this problem, until posted about. Checked, and yes, I had that issue too.

I just rolled back to my last System Restore Point, and all is fine. I will just ignore the MS message, that I have have Updates to download and install - been there, done that.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Also, see Peter Garaway's Reply # 20, in this PrPro thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5500604?tstart=0#5500604

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 9:17 PM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

hamishandandyarecool

I just checked, and, so far, for me, the problem has not returned since I removed the Windows 7 version of that KB. If I recall, the KB was further down in the Microsoft Windows Security Updates for Microsoft Windows section. I think it was dated 07 12 2013. Did you search the whole list?

When I corrected the situation for my wmv in my Windows 7 64 bit computer environment, I deleted just the KB cited. I did not roll back the works that were downloaded and installed that day.

If it is back in another one of those updates, the threads should be piling up in the next several hours.

I will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the alert. Wish I had better news for you. Let us see what the next hours turn up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

hamishandandyarecool

IT'S BACK.

I started my day to find my 1/2 wmv display in Premiere Elements 11, Windows 7 64 bit.

I went to Windows Updates, found the kb2803821 which is the one for Windows 7, deleted that kb, and now everything is back to normal.

I thought that I had set for a notification before installation of these updates, so I need to figure out what happened to make it possible for  this kb show up here without notification as requested in the option choices for Windows Updates.

Please let us know if you found the kb and deleted it again.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Right-click the update and select 'Hide update'. It will never try to install that update again.

1.jpg

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

hamishandandyarecool wrote:

When I tried to delete kb2803821 again I couldn't find it,

Open 'View installed updates'.

1.jpg

Search for KB2803821 using the box at the top right of your screen

2.jpg

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to nealeh

nealeh

That might be helpful if I had the opportunity to do so.

But, I have the Updates marked for notification before downloading and installing, and I received no notification for permission to download that kb nor did I give permission to install it at any time.

The puzzlement is that the option seems to be working in that I see "Important" updates and other that are being held in Windows Updates awaiting my OK. In spite of that the kb2803821 seems to be slipping through this setup.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

hamishandandyarecool

Nealeh shows that in post #17.

In my Windows 7 64 bit,

Start Button

In Search Programs and Files field, type Windows Update

After you do that, in the upper part of that left column, look for Check for Updates and click on it.

In the Windows Update page that opens,  there are Important and optional updates. Click on Important to reveal those there. If you see the one in question, then right click it and select Hide as in Nealeh's screenshot.

I think that is the intent.

My problem is that the kb is not showing up in that area for me to hide it. Need to figure out why not. Right now I am on a wait and see for a 3rd return of that kb and its consequences.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 2:53 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

After you've uninstalled the update you have to wait for it to show up as an install candidate again before you can hide it.

Rather than waiting, the quickest way to bring it back, so that it can be hidden, is to go to Windows Update and manually 'Check for updates'.

1.jpg

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to nealeh

nealeh

After you've uninstalled the update you have to wait for it to show up as an install candidate again before you can hide it.

In response to your post 22 to me, I know all that. Been there and done all that. So, far 7 12 2013, 1/2 wmv display/kb deleted; 7 14 2013 and as before got downloaded and installed without any notification that it was downloaded and/or installed - so deleted kb again. Now waiting to see if it returns on its own again 7 16 2013. I am checking the Windows Update area that you targeted  in your post 22 screenshot.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

This is exactly what is happening with me.. But I did the update and nothing is happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 4:03 PM   in reply to Calyx525

Calyz525

Have you been following similar discussions on this matter going on in the following thread?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1254296?tstart=0

Please update on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

hamishandandyarecool

The 1/2 wmv display and that kb has not returned yet. I am watching all fronts. And, I am absorbing all the inputs and suggestions.

Let us hope that Microsoft gives this security update material a different kb number when it "fixes" it.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I agree completely. That would be their normal course of action, but... ?

When I return from Australia, I will look for my MS Updates, but not touch anything, until I have checked out the threads here, to make sure that they did fix things.

Hope that your Win7 settings issue gets resolved. Like others, I have every program on my computers, set to do Updates ONLY manually, so that I can first create a System Restore Point, then download and install, and also know that I might have to then update my video (and maybe audio) drivers.

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to hamishandandyarecool

hamishandandyarecool

Oh, no. But you were able to catch view of the kb and Hide it this time, thanks to nealeh's suggestion.

Right now I am set up for notification before any Windows Updates downloading plus installing. No signs of the problematic kb yet.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points