Skip navigation
seven20vii
Currently Being Moderated

Exceptionally Strange text entry behavior across all CS

Jul 11, 2013 9:11 PM

Tags: #photoshop #font #bug #indesign #creative #suite #textfeld #auto-delete

I recently started having major issues using both Photoshop AND InDesign - cs5.5, 6 and cc this seems to be an issue with. Whenever I enter text on the page and then go to change the font size, leading, font, it applies the change, and then DELETES the text. I have to command-z to get the text back. Also, when I am trying to save the document, it will imediately delete the text field in the save dialog box. Again, i have to command-z to get the text back. Additionally, when I want to apply an effect to any layer, it will delete the input field that's auto-selected and then give me a message "Invalid numeric entry. An integer between 0 and 100 is required.  Previous value inserted."

This doesn't happen on any other software on my system. JUST Adobe. Does any one have the slightest idea what is going on here? It's super frustrating.

I'm on a Mac 17in laptop, 2.5 Ghz Core i7, 8 GB ram...and System 10.9 (which may be part of the problem).

thank you for any help you may be able to offer!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2013 10:30 PM   in reply to seven20vii

This is the exact issue I've been running into. Literally every single detail, except I'm on a 15" rMBP. Seeing as how I am also running OSX 10.9 I assume thats the culprit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to seven20vii

I am also having this problem and have been frustrated at not only the bug itself but also on finding anyone else who is experiencing the issue as well. Unfortunately, I am also on a rMBP & OSX 10.9 (beta 3).

Update: I logged this bug in the Mac OSX Developer Forums: https://devforums.apple.com/thread/196854 (must be a mac developer to view).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to mdonovan227

Yes, 10.9 is very, very pre-release software.

We're filing these bugs with Apple as quickly as we find them...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 7:20 PM   in reply to seven20vii

What did you all three expect fom OS X 10.9 at this point?      

That's why beta  testers are being called upon…

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 7:24 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks Chris. In case it helps your efforts, the bug is still happening in the newly release 10.9 beta 4.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to seven20vii

Same problem here on Mavericks. Okay, not literally the same thing, it only happens in some text boxes while not others. A notable example is Dust & Scratches: as soon as I open that filter, I get a message saying "Invalid numeric entry. An integer between 1 and 500 is required.  Previous value inserted." Even though I've not entered anything yet. It seems like the mere focus of the blinking text cursor deletes the text inside the box.

I can so far only reproduce this when running Dust & Scratches from a simple action. There's also another filter that does it but I don't remember which one. Dust & Scratches doesn't do it when not run from an action... Very strange and annoying!

Mavericks really did screw Photoshop up very very badly didn't it?! It's like using an early Alpha release...

Also, new machines can't be downgraded to Mountain Lion which means there's no solution so far.

The problem started happening a few days ago, coenciding with the recent Creative Cloud app update...

Please help!

EDIT: Looks like the problem is semi-fixed if I quit the Creative Cloud app (the one in the menu bar). I say semi because it just came back, though it didn't happen for a while after I quit the CC app.

There's also a weird bug definitely related to creative cloud, a white horizontal srtip window at the bottom of the screen appears when the creative cloud menu is open. See screenshot.

Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 04.35.23 pm.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2014 4:27 AM   in reply to seven20vii

A few months later and I am still experiencing this in PS CC under 10.9.2 (iMac 27" late 2009). Even when booting in safe mode without any extensions on I get the weird behaviour. Has everyone else seen any improvement since this thread was started?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2014 12:00 PM   in reply to janpersiel

If you have weird things happening on text entry in MacOS 10.9 -- turn off the dictation feature (it causes all sorts of problems).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points