Skip navigation
HayleySolich
Currently Being Moderated

Help please with Page Numbers & Facing Pages in Book Layout

Jul 11, 2013 10:02 PM

Tags: #indesign #pages #book #pagination #numbering #facing

I am having some dramas with my book project which is 168 pages including cover.  I have created 22 different documents for the chapters and other pages.  I had everything in a book and have been able to create a PDF, but then I needed to remove the cover so it can be printed separately and to change the page numbering to start at 1 after the contents page.

When I added numbers after the Contents page, it pushed all the pages out of order - ie what was previously sitting on the left was now sitting on the right etc.

Removing the cover also impacted on individual spreads.

Since then I have:

- Updated my program to resolve an issue where Indesign kept shutting down when I tried to change page numbers.

- Recreated the book twice, but find the spreads are all out of whack as I add them - doesn't appear to be auto paginating.

- Called Adobe and got given tutorials that have not helped me resolve the issue because I have followed the tutorials but it hasn't resolved the issues I am having.

Is there a way that you can stop autopagination and tell the pages which side they need to be on?  I currently have one chapter finishing on an even number of pages and the next starting on an odd, even though there are an even number of pages in that chapter, which is bizarre?  How do I fix this please?

I would sincerely appreciate anyone who can tell me how to fix this.  I have read and watched so many tutorials showing how to set it up but there doesn't appear to be any that help with trouble shooting when you have followed the process but something bizarre happens.

Is there a way that you can dictate the sides that the pages should be on?  Can you turn off the auto pagination anywhere?  This is an urgent request.

Thanks,

Hayley

PS  I started in CS6 and am now using CC.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2013 2:32 AM   in reply to HayleySolich

There was no need to pull the book apart like that. You could have kept it altogether and made a Print Ready PDF - then extracted the cover pages from the print document.

Or you could have left it exactly how it was and not output the Cover during pdf - just select the other documents in the book.

And finally you could have created a new file and Placed the pages that are the cover into a new file and used that for your cover.

You can stop autopagination by turning the option off in the Book Panel sub menu (top right)

You can dictate if a chapter starts on a recto or verso - see the book panel submenus for these options.

A simple internet search brought up exactly how to do it - "InDesign Auto Pagination" - which you could have done in less than the time it took you to write your cry for help

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-archive/video_workshop/html/vid0217. html

Remember - never panic - it's only a computer - whatever you've done can always be undone or recreated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 3:10 AM   in reply to HayleySolich

As with anything that's continually crashing you should make a backup immediately!

If InDesign is crashing moving documents around then there's something wrong in one of the documents.

Add half the documents to the book - then move them around. If it crashes then it was one of those files.

Add half of them again and then move them around again until you narrow down which document is causing the issue.

Book Autopagenation

booknumberingoptions.png

options.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 3:14 AM   in reply to HayleySolich

A few things to consider:

Not all books are the same, but many begin on page one, which is a right page, and as it follows, all odd pages will be on the right with even pages on the left. If your book had the cover as part of the book, I wonder if that meant that your first page was on the left?

Books leaves hold two pages (front and back), and therefore book page counts need to be divisible by two. You say your book is 168 pages including the cover, which you moved to another document, leaving 167 book pages. If you were counting the back page, that might make for a 166 page book, which would be OK, but depending on how it will be printed, the page count may need to be divisible by 4, 8, 16, or higher, and the printer may need to add blank pages to get to the correct page count. Can you tell us how your book will be produced?

Many people like to keep  their chapters in even-numbered page count, so that new chapters may start on the right. This sometimes requires you to have a blank left-sided page at the end of some chapters. This blank page is sometimes labeled "This page intentionally left blank" or some such wording (so as to let the reader know there wasn't a misprint), but isn't strictly necessary. Sometimes an ornament in the center of the page will do the same job.

Do you think these are things you would like to have in your book, or are you opposed to them for any reason? The answers may narrow the advise you get from the forum users.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 3:22 AM   in reply to HayleySolich

Note that if you have Autopagination turned off then the pages won't auto return to recto or verso.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to HayleySolich

HayleySolich wrote:

However, since I worked on it, there are chapters that are now starting on the right even though the chapter ended on the right in the previous chapter.  That is my dilemma.

I may have a bug in my files.  I am going to try somethings to see if I can fix that problem first.  I have uploaded the latest version of Indesign, so I think it has to be corrupted files. 

This sounds very much like it could be a Keep Option on the first paragraph fo the new chapter set to start on next right page.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points