Skip navigation
martintablerock
Currently Being Moderated

Encore 5.1 when importing wmv encore only shows the lower half of the video ...

Jul 12, 2013 3:58 AM

Tags: #problem #cs5 #video #import #encore_cs5

When I import a wmv video file (created by premiere), encore only shows the lower half of the video. The upper half is black.
It seems to be not depending on the video-size (resolution), as I experimented with different sources.

The videos were made in HD (progressive) and I exported them via Adobe Premiere in several wmv movies (including pal, 25fps, widescreen).

I know that this is not the way to create a dvd, I actually exported the files from Premiere to burn them on a data-dvd only.

Now that I try to make my first attempts in Encore, I only used the files for practice but wonder why Encore is not able to interprete even not-optimal sources right...

When I try to import the files via Adobe Bridge, the mwv videos are shown right but as soon as they are imported in Encore, there is only the lower half left !

What is the reason for this behaviour ?

There seems to be no way to change the video inside Encore (for correction) - transcoding for instance does not change the effect.

Can anone help ? I know that I have to use another file format to create a DVD, but just in case you have to use a wmv file... it should not cut off the upper half of the video !

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to martintablerock

I have a wmv that I use for various tests. Not a good idea, but it was handy, and then there it was in test projects.... But I have no problems with it. So I assume there is something in the particular wmv export settings you are using that freaks Encore out. Encore is not a robust app for dealing with odd sources.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

thats weird - I have exactly the same problem that occured to me today, but not the other day. Wonder if there is an update that has been passed out that has effected thi? Will watch the responses you get with interest!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to martintablerock

A windows update broke this. Several threads in the Premiere forum with a link; rolling back is the short term fix.

Edit: This thread includes details:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1251905?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 6:48 PM   in reply to martintablerock
    but I wonder that there is no update for encore 5.1 solving the problem...

A developer of a non-Adobe video player responded on the Premiere forum that Windows must control the code closely; part of digital rights management issues. It does not appear practical to work around this. The good news was that Microsoft is working on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

It appears that Microsoft has issued the fixed update:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-057

See the "Update FAQ" section:

"Why was this bulletin revised on August 13, 2013?

Microsoft revised this bulletin to rerelease the 2803821 update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

The rereleased update addresses an application compatibility issue in which WMV encoded video could fail to properly render during playback. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 customers should install the rereleased update."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points