Skip navigation
mcmxlix
Currently Being Moderated

Files still opening in CS5

Jul 12, 2013 10:17 AM

I downloaded CC yesterday and still have CS4 and CS5 on my Mac (can I delete either of these?). When working in CC and clicking to open a file from Bridge, CS5 opens and the files opens in CS5 rather thab CC.  Ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to mcmxlix

Yes, it's because the CS5 versions are set as the default for those file types on your Mac.

I'm a PC guy myself, so not sure how it works on Mac.  This might help: http://www.fileinfo.com/help/mac_change_program

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 8:43 PM   in reply to mcmxlix

mcmxlix wrote:

…still have CS4 and CS5 on my Mac (can I delete either of these?)…

The answer to that question requires some explanations:

You didn't need to keep the older version each time  you installed each new versions.  All Adobe upgrades are FULL INSTALLERS, they don't need a prior version to install.  If they don't find a prior version installed, the upgrade installer just asks for the old serial number as well as the new one.

You're not supposed to "delete" but to uninstall recent Adobe applications by using the Adobe Uninstallers that Adobe installs when you install every recent version of Photoshop, certainly CS4 and CS5.

Never just drag the application folder to the Trash.

However, the problem you face  is that running the Uninstaller now brings a high risk of damaging the install of the newest versions, as there are similarly named files in similar locations placed there by each installer.

The best time to uninstall an older version—if you decide not to keep it—is BEFORE you install the newer one.

If you decide you still want to uninstall the older version(s) now, after the fact, your best bet is to uninstall every version, including CC, with its own uninstaller, beginning with the oldest one, and when you have uninstalled all of them, run the CS Cleaner Tool (downloadable from Adobe), and then finally re-install CC.

You will find the Uninstallers either in your Applications/Utilities folder (as is the case for CS4) or inside the Photoshop application folder (newest versions).

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 13, 2013 1:46 PM   in reply to joshweiland

Yes, it's because the CS5 versions are set as the default for those file types on your Mac.

While this may be the cure, frankly spoken it should not happen. Installing a new version of Photoshop and Bridge automatically should change all file type associations to the latest versions.

So there might be something wrong with your system and/or install like permissions or other stuff. Like Station Two mentioned, deleting instead of uninstall is a bad thing to do.

And you can have different versions installed, even have multiple versions of PS open at the same time but only one version of Bridge is able to run at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 14, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to mcmxlix

So I do ultimately get the file

open in CC and it isn't a huge deal to do this.  I think I may just live

with it. 

Check Bridge Preferences File Type Associations and check the setting for the used Raw files. Otherwise restart  Bridge Holding down option key and choose reset preferences.

Needing to force quit an application time after time is a sign something is really wrong and you should not willing to just live with that…

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to mcmxlix

mcmxlix wrote:

When I open an

old Raw file in ACR and the select open to open it in Photoshop it opens in

CS5. If I force quit CS5 before it opens and reopen the file in ACR and

then open again it will then open in CC. 

Do you have Bridge CS5 runnig in the background?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points