Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DNXhd QuickTime crashing any CC app

Jul 12, 2013 6:57 PM

Hi! Having a pretty weird issue with Quicktimes with any flavor of DNXhd exported from Autodesk Flame or Smoke, they crash ANY CC application, but they work perfectly fine on any other Adobe CS6 application, or any other application, called Dofital Fusion, Media Composer, etc...

This happens on all of the computers where we installed CC, Mac and PC, desktop, laptop, etc, 8 machines, all the same problem...

I think most of you are going to say, report it to Autodesk, I already did, but think, CS6 and any other app open these movies just fine, only CC crash with them..... Anyone from Adobe here that would like to get a small QT to check what is going on and get it fixed? This is extremely disruptive for our workflow and is preventing us from using CC

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2013 8:27 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

CC can now take advantage of DNxHD in the superior MXF container.  Have you experimented with those?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 8:34 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

That I can't help with.  Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Please upload a short clip with which PPRO is having problems and post a link to them here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

I to o have some DNxHD QuirkTime material. I believe that there are too many codecs and that some standards need to be set between camera makers and software makers.

The Apple vs Adobe contest is not helping here.....maybe cameras should be ADOBE CERTIFIED....like the video cards are......or, at least a current ,and frequently updated list ofproblem codecs. Adobe should thoroughly test all likely codecs, BEFORE " releasing product"

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Hi Victor,

Do you have any screen capture programs installed, like, IShowU, or Screenflow? If so, uninstall them and see if you still experience problems.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Hi Victor,

Yes, I tried it and it crashes the application on Mac. Please file a bug report from your end, and I'll report it from my end.

Here's the bug report form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Hi Victor,

I also reproduced the crash. Thank you for providing the sample file this is very helpful.

I've logged a bug and will report back here as soon as I have any info.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Hi Victor,

Yes, it sure does make a difference even though it doesn't seem that way. As far as emailing you with a case number, etc. due to a bug report. That does not occur too frequently, sorry.

If you want a dedicated case number, etc. for reference's sake, I recommend contacting support: http://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

I know this is a crummy bug, so I'll do my best to raise its awareness.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 10:37 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Hi Victor,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. The last couple of days were quite busy for me, so I didn't have too much time to hit the forums. But I see that Peter and Kevin covered well for me.

Since we can make no promises as to when a fix for this will be released, have you considered workarounds such as re-encoding from the original source in Flame or Smoke to an alternate format or transcoding through CS6 to an acceptable digital intermediate? The help for Smoke indicates that projects can be saved as EDLs. It's worth checking to see if Premiere can import them (unless, of course, you already know that it won't work...)

While I understand that these workarounds are a real hassle,  an inconvient but viable workaround is better than being dead in the water.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 2:56 AM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

I've never worked with EDLs, but my impression was that they're one of several types of files (along with OMF, AAF, and FCP XML) that can be exported from one post production program, distilling a sequence to a series of clips, cuts, transitions, etc., for purposes of importing into another program. If my understanding is incorrect and an EDL is in no way suitable for this purpose, then I apologize.

We're aware of the importance of this issue. My purpose in discussing workarounds was simply to help find a way for you to continue working with PPro CC. Under the best-case scenario, if the management team decided tomorrow to put out a critical patch and engineering checked in a fix immediately, in my experience it would be at least a matter of weeks before the update would be released.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

As I had no problem editing these  DNxHD QuickTime files, ( which I believe are 32 bit and trigger the " QuickTime importer" ), using PPro5.03......I am wondering what is happening with these newer versions. The software appears to be GOING BACKWARD in some areas, and going ahead in others. With all the bugs and problems I am reading about.....it appears Adobe must spend some of its CC income on THOROUGH AND EXHAUSTIVE TESTING before releasing new versions.....perhaps, an enlarged Beta program to uncover unknown problems in advance of a general release.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Plus, Extreme Reach, one of the biggest distributors of spots to TV networks, takes DNXHD QTs as the deliverable,

So does DG FastChannel.

New specs out a few weeks ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Hi Victor,

Sorry for your troubles. This is fixed in our upcoming 7.1 release.

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 10:29 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Wow, I guess this explains my troubles.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...