Skip navigation
granolakid
Currently Being Moderated

How do you animate a title placed over video clip

Jul 12, 2013 8:11 PM

I have been trying to animate a still title that I have placed over a video clip in expert view.  There is only one line.  I have followed the following which I think I got from the Adobe site: 

Create a title with animated text

You can easily apply a preset animation to any still title. Text animation presets quickly and easily

animate the characters in your title so that they fade or pop characters into view, or fly in from the

top or bottom of the screen. For example, using the Fade In By Characters preset instantly makes

each separate character in your title fade into view until the title is complete.To preview an

animation, position the pointer on the Animation tab in the Adjust panel.

1. Do one of the following:

In the Quick view timeline, select the superimposed clip. In the Monitor panel, click the clip,

and then double-click the title text.

In the Expert view timeline, double-click the title clip.

The Adjust panel changes to display the text options.

2. In the Adjust panel, select an animation preset under the Animation tab.

3. Do one of the following to apply the preset to the title:

Click Apply.

Drag the preset to the Monitor window and drop it on top of the title text

I have had no success no matter what I've tried.  I have a mac.  I would value any suggestions.

Thanks.

barb

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to granolakid

Barb

My first instinct is that you are not:

1. Typing your one line of text

2.  While you are still in the Text section of the Titler, selecting the Selection Tool, and then clicking on your text in the Titler to get the bounding box around the text

3. Then going to the Animation section, selecting your animation, and then click/drag it into the Titler bounding box which has the text.

Step 2 is what I think you might be omitting in the process.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Once you get this mastered, if you want to use those Text Animations for more than one line of text in the Titler you can. I will post the how to if interested. The idea is not mine, but I have detailed it for others to work through the concept successfully.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I think ATR has nailed it. In order to use an Animation on your title, it can only be one line long.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Thanks. But let me clarifiy what I suspect Barb's issue is

a. not selecting the Text in the Text section of the Titler before applying the animation in Animation section of the Titler.

or

b. what I did not yet write, not using Default text since Text Animation does not work with Default crawl or roll

or

c. trying to use more than one line of text without the use of special procedures.
    (I sort of put this thought aside when I replied since Barb wrote

I have been trying to animate a still title that I have placed over a video clip in expert view.  There is only one line.

I interpreted that as only one line of text was typed in the Titler, not that there were two lines of text types.

But, the answer should be one of the 3. More details from Barb should help us to pin point the problem.

I think it was JohnnyO who first pointed out (your forum at few years back) that you can indeed apply Text Animations to more than one line of text in Premiere Elements Titler, but with the use of special maneuvers. I wrote about this and did a detailed step by step and overview on the matter.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to granolakid

Barb

Still thinking about what you wrote, but could you confirm how you are opening the Titler and with what selection? Default text, not any crawling or rolling credits, right?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...What font style are you using for the text, the "Default Caslon Pro 68" or other? Are there any other effects applied to this title?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to granolakid

Barb,

Can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline, where your Title is above your Video, and with the Title open in the Titler (the Title Editing Panel)? I would also use the Selection Tool (the little "arrow" to Select your Text Object, in that screen-cap.

That might tell at least part of the story.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to granolakid

barb

Do not give up.

I will take a look at what you mentioned for font type, style, and size in Premiere Elements 11 and see what happens.

After you type your one line of text, do you at any time before you open the Animation section hit the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard?

ATR

Add On...At this point, can you use the Text Animations in the Titler in a new project? If not, we may want to try flushing the preferrences. When was the last time that you used this feature successfully?

Add On...Just to triple check, when I asked about selecting the text before going to the Animation section, you wrote that yes you had and there was a bounding box around it. Did that bounding box have handles or did you view just a straight line rectangular border around the text?

Add On...After you finish applying the animation to your text in the Titler, do you close the Titler and then playback the animated Title in the Edit Mode Monitor and still get no signs of text animation?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 3:20 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

She does use the Selection to select the Text Object. That was one of the primary focus points.

She seems to be doing everything by the book.

My latest thought is that she may be hitting the Enter key of the computer main keyboard making the Text Animation think that there is a second line of text even though she has not intensions of doing so.

I have put her font style and size and other descriptions through its paces in my Premiere Elements 11 Windows and everything is text animating.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I still think that a screen-cap, as I described will be useful to see if there are any aspects, that have gone unmentioned, or perhaps questions unasked. What is that adage - "a picture is worth... ?"

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

You wrote:

What is that adage - "a picture is worth... ?"

With all the photoshopping in existance best leave the rest of the adage with .....

But as a screenshot applies here, all information is important, but it appears that granolakid is communicating well and in detail.

Looking forward to more follow up and a solution to this problem via whatever targets the issue.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 9:44 PM   in reply to granolakid

Barb

You can do that a couple of ways on your side. Do you have the snipping tool that comes with some versions of Windows? If so, do a screen capture (as jpeg), save the jpeg to the computer.

Then click on the camera image (Insert Image) above your reply  and follow the instructions. Use the Browse button below Select Your Image to navigate to where you have saved the screen capture to your computer.

Hope that helps.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 6:01 AM   in reply to granolakid

Barb,

This article gives details on one workflow for production on screen-caps, and attaching the image to a Reply in this forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

Note: with later versions of Windows, one can use the Snipper Tool, rather than the Prt Sc key.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to granolakid

barb

I found this online for "snipping tool" on Mac

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/f24/snipping-tool-mac-63785/

Plesae let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...An additional online article regarding Mac's Grab and others

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/33906/alternative-to-windows- snipping-tool-for-mac-osx

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to granolakid

barb

Great news.

I have been doing some write ups on the Premiere Elements Titler, and I looked at this issue each which ways.

So, it did turn out as I wrote back in post 9 of this thread when commenting to Hunt about the situation at that time....

My latest thought is that she may be hitting the Enter key of the computer main keyboard making the Text Animation think that there is a second line of text even though she has not intensions of doing so.

Here is my update on my past Premiere Elements Titler Text Animation work, details for Premiere Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 10 (the latter I used as a model for versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 10).

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-titler-part-1-text-animation s.html

Sometimes when you look at a problem too long, you need to back away temporarily and then advance refreshed.

Continued success and thanks to your son for his help in this matter.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points