Skip navigation
bill-in-adelaide
Currently Being Moderated

'Generic error' attempting to import MOVs from an OMD-EM5 into PE11

Jul 13, 2013 1:19 AM

Tags: #11 #mov #generic_error #premiere_elements_11

G'day All,

I've just switched from a Win 7 machine to a Win 8 machine.

Using PE11 on the old machine I was able to safely edit footage take with my Olympus OM-D E-M5. (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biojB2xQyfE)

Now on the new Win 8 machine I'm getting a 'generic error' and 'import failure' when I try to drag the OMD's MOV files into a project in PE11. The exact same files.

It's doing my head in!

Any ideas? Have I just forgotten a process?

Yes, I have the latest version of Quicktime installed. Everything's all patched and up-to-date!

regards,

Bill  Doyle

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2013 1:58 AM   in reply to bill-in-adelaide

If the camera originally came with its own software install that as well. The necessary codecs for sometimes only installed with their own software suites. If that is so then once installed PRE can hopefully use that codec.

Also check the Olympus support site for you're camera and see what is available in its 'downloads' section.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity  is hereditary. You get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to bill-in-adelaide

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to bill-in-adelaide

Bill Doyle

We are glad that you found a way to move forward in your Premiere Elements 11 project/source media in Windows 8.

However, curiosity prevails. So, some quesions if you have time to answer.

From what I have read of your camera, the shooting formats are described as AVCHD, H.264, and MotionJPEG. I suspect that it is the MotionJPEG choice that you may have selected in your camera settings that triggered your issues. If you did shoot the problem footage with MotionJPEG compression, then please read on.

MotionJPEG often is a problematic format for Premiere Elements. One explanation is that the core of the issue goes to the availability of the codec to the program rather than the absence of the codec. We have read that the ultility the comes with the camera can handle this type of situation. But in the absence of the camera utility, downloading and installing the Morgan MotionJPEG codec has been doing the job.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_cod ec.cfm

If this is a MotionJPEG issue and you feel that it is of interest, please let us know the results of downloading and installing that codec.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

From my experience (less personal, and based on the situations of many users, on many forums), the generic MJPEG CODEC's, like Morgan, MainConcept and some others, do a very good job, in a lot of situations, but not all.

MJPEG has been around for a long time, and almost faded away, like the CinePak CODEC from Radius. Then Nikon, and a few more camera mfgrs. ressurected it, but began tweaking it for even greater performance. That tweaking did improve the CODEC, and its output, but with one down-side - many of those generic MJPEG CODEC's would not work perfectly with the output from the cameras.  More and more often, one needed the camera mfgr's. own version of the MJPEG CODEC.

An apt analogy might be made with Camera RAW. With each new model, a camera mfgr. will tweak their own Camera RAW settings, say NEF for Nikon. Adobe releases their ARC (Adobe Camera RAW) modules frequently. However, if one has a newer camera, but an older ACR module, that newer camera's Camera RAW files will not decode properly, until the newest ACR module is either released, or installed. It is very similar with MJPEG, though the tweaking is seldom as severe, model to model, but it can be mfgr. to mfgr.

On my sytems, I have Morgan's, MainConcept's, Apple's, Panasonic's, Nikon's and Canon's MJPEG CODEC's. I have yet to encounter an MJPEG file, that my system could not handle, but then, such as in this case, I do not have an MJPEG from an Oly, which might differ enough, that I could not handle that footage natively. For a long time, my Morgan, MainConcept or Apple, handled every MJPEG, that I could throw at it, including an early Nikon. Then, a new Nikon produced MJPEG files, that they could not decode. I updated Nikon Capture, but that did not help me. I then installed the Nikon CoolPix utility, and that installed Nikon's newer version of the MJPEG CODEC. Pretty much the same with my wife's Canon G-10. I installed Canon's ZoomBrowser, and viola, success. When she got her tiny Panny, I did not even try those files, until I installed that camera's utility. Who knows if one of my MJPEG CODEC's would have worked, since I did not even bother to try? I just followed suit with what worked for the newer Nikon, and the Canon, and installed the mfgr's. MJPEG CODEC.

Were I to encounter MJPEG footage from and Oly, if one of my existing MJPEG CODEC's did not handle it, then I would do just as Neale suggested, and find that Oly version, either from the client's camera's utility disc, or from the Oly Web site.

As I found, an early Nikon produced MJPEG files, that were no issue, with my generic CODEC's, but then a newer Nikon had been tweaked enough, that I could no longer decode those files, until I added the more recent Nikon MJPEG CODEC to the system.

I completely agree with you, in that it's not so much having AN MJPEG CODEC, but having the right one. Same with that Camera RAW analogy - it's not a matter of having an ACR module, but the one that provides support for that particular camera.

Just some MJPEG observations, and ramblings,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Thanks.

But, Bill wrote that he does not have a camera utility for the purpose. So, trying the Morgan MotionJPEG codec installation seemed the next best step, short of video conversion. Still not sure where he got the .mp4 to import into Premiere Elements on Windows 8.

But, the curious part of all this is Bill's reply

With only a minimum of faffing around (having no idea where the Olympus disk is - I've never used such a thing as the Camera's own imaging software before), and the discovery that the OM'D doesn't use standard USB connections, I was able to export a MP4 that PE 11 recognises without any problems.

It sounded to me that he opted for a different shooting mode for the camera, other than one that was giving him the MotionJPEG.avi. Just speculation. That camera is shown online as offering the choices of "AVCHD, H.264, or MotionJPEG".

Bill's follow up on this should be interesting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

The Olympus software is "Olympus Viewer 3" that imports both images and videos (although I did find one, older, Olympus webpage suggesting AVCHD is only supported with the CD version of the software).

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Yes. If the utility disc is unavailable, then a test with Morgan would certainly be worth the effort. Might be a case, where it WILL work.

Or, as Neale points out, the necessary MJPEG CODEC might well be available by downloading and installing the Oly utility, from his link.

Of course, the above ONLY applies IF the Shooting Mode is MJPEG. For other Shooting Modes, different considerations will need to be taken into account.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

I may be mistaken, but I think that BIll is coming from Australia. If my recollection is correct,...

If my iPod Touch 4th generation World Clock is correct, it must be about 3 am tomorrow in Australia.

So, it will be a while before Bill gets back to us with all the answers and puts the speculations to rest.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I understand that particular TMZ issue, as I will be facing it next week. It takes us two days (on the calendar) to fly to SYD, but then we get back to LAX, about the same time that we left SYD, and on the same day. That's gotta' be a very fast plane...

Luckily for me, my watch figures everything out for me, so I just need to plug in the location, and everything else just follows along. I assume that my smartphone will do the same, via its GPS. I does for Europe, so feel that it can handle SYD too.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 9:03 PM   in reply to bill-in-adelaide

Bill,

Thanks for the follow up. What footage do you get from the Nikon D7000? I suspect it is 1080p? From what I read, your Olympus OM DE MS offers 1080p. So are you saying that the Nikon D7000 1080p works fine in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit and Olympus OM DE MS is a major problem in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit? Have you actually made that comparison yet?

If that is the case, that makes me wonder what Olympus might be doing with a possible propriety codec.

I have Premiere Elements 11 on both Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit and so far everything is running smoothly. But, I do not have your Olympus camera. I have run AVCHD 1080p footage from other cameras and have had no problems. I will look online to see if I can find sample Olympus footage that I can run through my Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit.

While it is about 2 pm tomorrow there my time, it is almost midnight yesterday here. If I do not catch your follow up on this in the next 1/2 hour, I will be sure to check it out in the light of day.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to bill-in-adelaide

Bill

Just starting my day and was so very pleased that all is well.

Great work with the troubleshooting and finding the core of the QuickTime - 1080p Nikon vs Olympus - Premiere Elements matter where the Nikon is 1080p AVCHD with a .mts wrapper while Olympus is 1080p AVCHD with .mov wrapper.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points