Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AME suddenly started output corrupted AvidDNxHD

Jul 13, 2013 9:22 AM

So I was working away. ploughing through upwards of a hundred renders from separate AE-projects yesterday. All of which rendered through AME and used the 440 Avid DNxHD preset. No problem. Exported from AE CC to AME CC and then imported to the Premiere Pro CC-project.

I noticed that there's a new update for all the Adobe Video Apps and decided to just update them. Turned off the computer for the night. And then started the new days work today. Made a new AE CC project and built the comp. Export to AME. Use the trusty preset all the other exports used. AME rendered quickly as usual. Gave the signal that it was done successfully. I import it to Premiere Pro CC and... "Importer reported a general error.".

• I tried to just re-render using the same settings. Nope. Same result.
  • I tried importing the resulting file to AE. That importer says the file is corrupted.
  • I tried to open it in prelude and bridge. Those fail to produce any video. All the other files from pre-bugfix produce thumbnails and previews full motion video
  • I tried importing the pre-bugfix-renders to PPro CC. No problem
  • I tried rebooting the computer. Same thing.
  • I tried choosing the 220 DNxHD instead incase it's just the preset that's corrupted. Nope, same result.

I have yet to try using the Quicktime wrapped DNxHD-codec to see if it's just the MXF-files that fails.

I'm using the 23.976fps presets on a Win7 64bit machine. And the comps are simple 2D-animations built with PNG's and default plugins that was included with AE except Colorista Free

Anyone had any problem of this sort after the just released update?

Updated for spelling mistake

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to www.jmalmsten.com

Is this only happening with AE projects? 

what happens if  you try to encode a PPro project instead of AE?

Even simpler yet, try to encode a single .mov file or other individual files and see if you are running into this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to www.jmalmsten.com

I can reproduce the problem.  Exporting from  AME 7.0.1 using a DNxHD 440X preset creates a problematic MXF file.  Doesn't happen with AME 7.0, just with AME 7.0.1.  I was only able to reproduce this with  DNxHD 440X presets, other DNX presets seemed to work fine. 

I also tried exporting to QuickTime DNxHD 440X and that worked as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 12:33 AM   in reply to Larry Sullivan

Found out this isn't a bug...  We changed how we write DNxHD MXF files in AME CC 7.0.1 to match the newer Avid spec.  The problem only arises when you try to import these files using Premiere CC 7.0 or After Effects CC 12.0, which only recognize the older Avid  spec.

Try updating Premiere CC to 7.0.1, that should fix the problem on the Premiere side. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2013 1:57 AM   in reply to Larry Sullivan

Thanks Larry for checking up on this issue.

May I know if you have any idea how to get around this problem for After Effects 12.0, or will an update be out soon?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to RichHkt

There will be an After Effects update soon (targeted for next month) that will accommodate this change made by AME.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2013 1:30 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks so much for the update Todd. Will definitely save the heartache of having to reconvert everything in Premiere to AE (as we can't dynamic link with the DNxHD files). Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 4:34 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi Todd,

may i know if the After Effects update, that was targetted for September 2013, for solving the corrupt DnxHD files coming from AME CC7.0.1 and After Effects CC is coming out?

Or is there a patch available besides having to re-encode everything?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 4:52 AM   in reply to RichHkt

The update has taken longer than anticipated, and we're doing some final testing now. We hope to have it out this month.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks for the speedy reply, Todd. Looking forward.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points