Skip navigation
GHAustin
Currently Being Moderated

Cross Reference Format

Jul 13, 2013 11:22 AM

Is there a cross reference format for listing two steps? I'd like to have, "See Steps 5 and 6 on page 2" as a cross reference. I found formats for the "5" and "page 2," but can't seem to find a format for the "6". I also inserted a second marker but couldn't figure out how to combine it with the phrase.

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2013 4:04 AM   in reply to GHAustin

No, there isn't, and there is a very good conceptual reason for it: a cross-reference points to one single marker (or object). Pointing to two diffent objects would require two pointing fingers, so to speak, and one cross-reference only has one finger to point with. What you are looking for is conceptually impossible.

You will have to do it using two cross-references and adapting the format for the first to only list the step and the second to list both step and page. Life it tough, sometimes.

Good luck

Jang

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to GHAustin

> ... but can't seem to find a format for the "6".

It's <$paranumonly>, but as Jang points out, it's a second, independent Xref.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to GHAustin

GHAustin wrote:

Is there a cross reference format for listing two steps? I'd like to have, "See Steps 5 and 6 on page 2" as a cross reference. I found formats for the "5" and "page 2," but can't seem to find a format for the "6". I also inserted a second marker but couldn't figure out how to combine it with the phrase.

Thank you!

4everjang's comment doesn't mean you have to like FrameMaker's lack of the feature you want. A FrameMaker index entry can point to a range of source text, so if you think that would be a good enhancement to the cross-reference feature, consider posting a formal enhancement request here: Wishform. The more requests that are posted, the more likely that the feature will appear in some future version. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers