Skip navigation
kippolata
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere elements loss of quality complete beginner sorry!

Jul 13, 2013 11:51 PM

Right, so I edited my video initially in windows movie maker.....quality on export was good with a sharp picture etc. I then imported this video into elements (converting it first into an mpeg) as my elements was having problems with wmv file import showing only half the video. In the view window when editing the video is reduced quality but I thought this would correct itself with rendering.... It didn't. I e tried all sorts of different settings, maximized the quality of export, selected hd settings for export and still the quality when exported is really rubbish and no longer sharp and clear.....any ideas anyone? Thanks! X

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to kippolata

Unfortunately, you have compressed your Video several times, so quality will definitely suffer.

First, WMM compressed the Video quite heavily. WMV files are designed for delivery of streaming media, and not to be re-edited. Then, when you went to MPEG-2, you re-compressed that Video, loosing even more quality.

If you are not using Windows Movie Maker Live (only allows Export to WMV), Export to DV-AVI, and Import that file into PrE 4.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill say "If you are not using Windows Movie Maker Live (only allows Export to WMV), Export to DV-AVI, and Import that file into PrE 4."

I think what he meant to say was that, since Windows MovieMaker Live only outputs WMVs, that you should download the "classic" version of MovieMaker from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34

This version of MovieMaker will output your movie files at DV-AVIs. You can even use it to convert your WMVs to DV-AVIs. Just add the WMV to the MovieMaker timelline.

To output a DV-AVI from MovieMaker 2.6, select Finish Movie/Save to My Computer. Select a save location and click Next, then, under Movie Settings, click Show More Options; then, from the Other Settings drop-down menu, select DV-AVI.

DV-AVIs are the ideal format for editing in Premiere Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to kippolata

>rebuild the whole thing in movie maker then export

Why are you not using Premiere Elements for your original editing?

Are you editing a video that will not import into PE version 4?

What are you editing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to kippolata

As far as I know, the license allows you to install PE on two computers... so why not just install on the newer computer that doesn't crash?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to kippolata

kippolata

I just got a chance to view your thread this morning and was surprised to observe that you have not mentioned the Announcement at the top of this forum on the 1/2 .wmv issue and the fix for it. Are you aware of that fix and situation which involves deleting a particular Microsoft Security Update kb that has been installed on your computer recently?

Windows Updates

For Windows XP, you delete kb2834904

For Windows 7, you delete kb2803821

I am still not clear on the workflow that you are currently using.

a. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 4 running on?

b. What source media would you like to place on the Premiere Elements 4 Timeline? (If the kb update solves your 1/2 .wmv display issue, why not remove all but Premiere Elements 4 from your video editing export plans?)

I am not clear why you are currently still thinking Windows Live Movie Maker or any of its other variations in this workflow equation.

John T. Smith's point is well taken. Why not good with the best of your tools?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to kippolata

kippolata

Thanks for the follow up.

Are you saying that the Premiere Elements on your current laptop came pre-installed? If so, please check your purchase agreement with the manufacturer of the laptop to find out if you are able to obtain installation disc or files for Premiere Elements if you do not already have them as accessories for the laptop. See what is written into the purchase agreement. In pre-installed program situation often one runs into as no win situation from the manufacturer of the laptop as well as manufacturer of the software.

Do you have Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit? As for that 1/2 wmv display matter, I am not sure if that is targeting just Windows XP or Windows 7 and not other Windows versions. Have you had the 1/2 wmv display issue strike your laptop?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to kippolata

>I don't have installation discs etc so I'm not sure if I could still move everything over?

No... installing a program includes making entries into the Windows Registry... without those Registry entries, a program will not run properly

A very LONG time ago I **think** I remember reading about a program that would read all the information on computer A and make a file set that could be copied to computer B but that was in an earlier age, and I don't know if such a program (if it even exists, today) would be able to deal with software that has to be activated and when then puts an encrypted code on an out of the way place on a hard disk

If you really like Premiere Elements for editing... the current version 11 costs under $100 and is available from many vendors... such as Amazon

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to kippolata

kippolata

John T. Smith has suggested that you consider the purchase of Premiere Elements 11.

I would also offer some considerations on that subject....

1. There has been a major change in the inferface of Premiere Elements 11 as compared to earlier versions of the program. So before any purchase, consider (while it is still available) the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11 from Adobe to determine if it is compatible with your video editing/exporting needs and computer environment.

a. When the next version of Premiere Elements is released, the prior version is no longer available as a tryout.

2. No doubt, if you are going to get a best purchase price for version 11, it is about now since, if history repeats itself, there should be a new version released sometime come September/October 2013. I have no insider information on that, just history of prior new versions that have been popping up on a yearly basis around September of a given year.

But definitely check you computer purchase agreement to see if your software installation disc rights are defined in the pre-installed program situations.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Version 11 released 9-25-12 http://forums.adobe.com/message/4725394

Any current Beta test people are not allowed to comment on what may be in version 12, or a release date, but ATR's guess is as good as any

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T. Smith

Did you want to direct your post 13 to kippolata and not me. Sounds like that from what you wrote. I do know that neither the beta test people nor Adobe are permitted to talk about any new version features or release dates. And, you did seem to pick up on my wording "if history repeats itself" as a guess.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Grin... in a rush 'cause the JobJarQueen was calling (demanding!) for me to do some yard pickup... clicked the nearest link after I found my note about 9-25-12

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to kippolata

kippolata

Thanks for the update.

Please check out the Announcement at the top of this forum about the recent problem of 1/2 wmv display related to recent Windows Update.

In addition in has been written about in several threads here. I just want to make sure that problem is not contributing your any of your workflow issues.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5508375#5508375

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5507606#5507606

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to kippolata

>expecting it to be a lot more expensive than 100 dollars

$63 http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65193986-Photoshop-Elements-11/dp/B0093FRO MA

Dual with Photoshop Elements is "a bit less than" double that 63

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points