Skip navigation
NK design
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to make flipbook animation in indesign?

Jul 14, 2013 1:08 AM

Hi there,

Is it possible to make flipbook animation in indesign? like i want to move one box from left side of page one to the rightside of page 30. so after printing i can see that while filping pages.

Please help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2013 2:01 AM   in reply to NK design

I'm not that well versed in ID's toolset but I know this sort of thing can be done with a script since ID has scripting functionalities.  If you know JavaScript, or anyone else reading this thread (perhaps one can contribute), then you can script something that tells the specified box to move a little bit on every next page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 2:03 AM   in reply to NK design

You can alternatively do it the manual way by animating the box in Flash and exporting a series of JPG's or some other image format and placing each image into the ID file manually (or automatically perhaps with yet another script)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to NK design

I don't think you've really defined your question for us. You are talking about flip books, printing, and animation, which I don't normally think of as all going together.

Are you talking about the old low-tech method of animation where a series of images, all slightly different, would be printed on successive pages to give the appearance of motion when the pages are displayed in rapid succession?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 3:05 AM   in reply to NK design

It's certainly doable, and scripting is probably the way to go or you'll be spending a lot of time pushing the arrow keys to move frames on successive pages.

Can you tell us more about the page and the box you want to move? Is there anything else on the page? Is it a solid-filled frame or does it have some content that changes as the frame moves? IUs the motion in strictly horizontal?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 3:11 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes, Peter, scripting would do it (and unfortunately I don't know how to script that well).  However the method I described with Flash and exporting a sequence of frames from an animation would allow the user to place each image manually or with a script onto the pages into the correct place so the only work that he/she would have to do is the two keyframes in Flash (start and end) and then the interpolation function to make the box move.  Not very difficult at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 3:27 AM   in reply to markerline

I'm no scripter, either, but we have forum full of them at InDesign Scripting who would be willing to help, but they are going to need the answers to the questions I've posed. It's possible that this can be done manually just by duplicating a page, selecting the frame, move it the required amount, and repeat, which would be tedious for thirty pages but not necessarily bad enough to go through the effort of writing a script.

I've never done an animation using ID's built-in tools, so I can't say whether your Flash method would be a good idea, but my gut instinct is that anything even slightly complex in terms of shapes or content is not going to print nicely from flash frames, but it's certainly also worth exploring a bit more.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 3:47 AM   in reply to NK design

OK, that's moderately complex if you've already got the rest of the layout finished. Is the boat a completley independent object? Does it curently live on the master page (that would make life simpler, perhaps)? Does anything about the boat need to change other than the position?

If the boat is independent, and it doesn't need to change, you can calculate the total distance it needs to move and divide by the number of spreads to get the spacing. It should be pretty straight-forward from there to move it I think. As a master object it might be possible to move spread to spread, override and shift, adding a set amount to the increment in a loop. If it's not a master object, I think it would be a case of moving spread to spread, copy, paste in place, shift by the increment, and repeat.

I'm not convinced this is a great idea in the long run, though. It will make updating the catalog a whole lot more complex because you'll need to re-do the animation any time pages are moved. Maybe making a series of master pages that do the animation would work, then you could assign them in the correct order (probably also with a script).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points