Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Encore CS5 transcode terrible quality

Jul 15, 2013 5:34 AM

Hopefully someone can guide me to getting better quality from a CS5 DVD.

Source video is high def footage from Canon HFM41 camcorder.  I edit in Pinnacle Studio on a PC.  In the case of this project, the end video is 36 minutes in length.  I output to a 1080i MPEG2 file, even though for the time being I will only be making a standard DVD, someday I may want to take the same file and make a Blu-Ray disc.

In Encore CS5(Mac), I import the file as a timeline.  I add a main menu, 7 submenu pages for the 37 chapters, and a 2nd audio track.

Since it is only 36 minutes, I should be able to get max quality on a DVD.  For transcoding, I choose Automatic, and Max Render Quality.  But when I watch the final DVD, any scenes of action look terrible.  I've tried many different transcode settings such as DV High Quality 7MB 2 pass VBR, and I even tried copying this preset to a "DV High Quality 8MB 2 pass VBR".  No big improvement in quality.  Sometimes the transcoding took 8 hours on a 3 year old iMac i5.  Very frustrating, especially when I can burn a DVD right out of Pinnacle Studio, and the quality is outstanding.

Can anyone give me the settings I need in CS5 to get the max quality for a 36 minute DVD?

My next step would be to output 2 files from Studio, the 1080i MPEG2 AND a standard DVD MPEG2 file.  Then import the DVD file into Encore.  But shouldn't a professional level program such as Encore be able to do better encoding than a $99 consumer package such as Pinnacle Studio.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to jmklein

I assume from your comments that you are bringing only the HD mpeg2 file into Encore. Then using that compressed file for Encore to downrez and compress. Export from PR for the DVD - MPEG2-DVD preset. For 36 minutes you can get a high bit rate. Test by selecting in the work area a scene with problems, then export as CBR 8. Bring that into Encore and check to see that it shows it as "Do Not Transcode" in the DVD settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to jmklein

Try the experiment I described using Pinnacle to export a short bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to jmklein

I keep getting interrrupted today. I thought I had finished this note.

I am confused. At first I thought you were good to go for DVD. You did tests with short bits and they looked okay. And for DVD only, you can produce an acceptable DVD. And you are doing that by exporting an MPEG2-DVD file from Pinnacle. Right so far?

But you then exported HD files that are not being re-transcoded well by Encore. I just don't think that is what you should do. I think you are trying to create a "archival master" from Pinnacle that you can use later to create both DVD and Bluray. Is that right?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to jmklein

For a true "Master" format, many users like Lagarith or UT. See this thread for a discussion of archiving:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4527442#4527442

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to jmklein

>multiple backups of everything

Does that include a full backup of your boot/program drive for easy restore in case of a hard drive failure?

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to jmklein

image of the machine after a fresh install
    data is backed up daily onsite, and twice a year offsite.

A user after John's own heart!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Grin... 3 kinds of computer users

1-have lost data due to a hard drive crash

2-are going to lose data due to a hard drive crash

3-had #1 happen, and learned how to prevent major loss

|
    Mark as:

More Like This