Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash website design

Jul 15, 2013 7:03 AM

Hello Dreamwevaers

I looking at this random website: http://www.iestudio.co.il/en/portfolio.html, is this flash based? im also scaling down and up the website and it doesnt seem responsive.

so what Id like to know is, how come the websites dimensions fit across my monitor which is 24"inch 1920 x 1080 display but its not scalable?isnt the whole purrpose of this type of design

to be responsive?

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Yes that is Flash based and no, it was not a responsive design.

I'm hoping the creator of that page was just trying to show someone what they could do and doesn't expect it to be anything more than a nice design and concept presentation for a desktop viewer.

If this was a true attempt at responsive design, it wouldn't have used Flash to begin with, or it would only have used it as a fallback for those desktop browsers that don't support html5 and css3.

Flash is effectively dead online. None of the most popular handheld devices can run it  and the list is growing as new devices come out. For those handhelds, the viewer of that particular page only gets a single line of default text on a white background telling them to install Flash. That leads me to believe the design was meant to be more of a quick presentation for a specific audience.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Like I mentioned, Flash is essentially dead online. Adobe stopped development of it on mobile devices in 2011 to focus on HTML5 (which is nearly universally supported on handhelds). There are a lot of reasons Flash failed online with handhelds, here's an article (some would say a biased one), but the points made are valid in regards to Flash on mobile devices:http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

I think the main thing that killed Flash online was touch screens. With everything moving to touch screens and the lack of mice on those devices, even the ones that could run Flash couldn't run it correctly because so much in Flash designed sites depends on the mouse.

Flash isn't SEO friendly when used for an entire site because it uses a file that runs within an html page. Search engines look at html to decide what's important, rate and index pages. They can't look "into" the Flash file to see menus, links and relevant information. HTML5 (and CSS3), on the other hand, allows you to do a lot of what Flash does, but within "indexable" html mark-up.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points