Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is "internet" flagged as miss-spelling in Indesign but not auto-corrected?

Jul 15, 2013 12:46 PM

Tags: #help #internet #support #spellcheck #auto-correct

when the entire support system for Indesign exists on the internet, why is this word not recognised by the Indesign inbuilt dictionary?

Further, I have auto-correct set to ON!  Yet it's not correcting this to whatever it assumes is the correct spelling.  Given that the listed suggestions when middle tapping are "Internet" or "INTERNET" why is it not auto-correcting to one of these?  It's not like it could be some other word I'm trying to type.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to dissidently

I assume you don't know all words.

Either select the way you want to write it from the context menü or

make the entries you need in the list in preferences > autocorrect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:05 PM   in reply to dissidently

You have to work with a program as it is designed and not so as you suppose as it should be. And yes, I am happy, that InDesign has unlike MS Word or Outlook selfdefined automatism without my interaction. In InDesign the user can specify which word will be replaced automatically and that is important for the reliability for the output.

You should go back to the manual and read it first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:55 PM   in reply to dissidently

In the help menu, either as pdf download or as html, both are available, online and offline.

But this was mentioned very often in the other thread. So it should be obvious where to look.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to dissidently

yes

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 11:49 PM   in reply to dissidently

Are my expectations of documentation a little high?

No, they are not.
    But you already have discussed that with Peter Spier in the other thread…

Speaking about documentation: Adobe can do better. There is proof for it in the Adobe Digitial Publishing (DPS) sector for InDesign. You may have a look at Bob Bringhurst's (Adobe staff) collection at:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/994742?tstart=0

Another example for DPS is:

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-publishing-suite/topics.html

But I must confess, that PDF documentation in regards of the all new v27 of DPS is still missing (ok. that release is just a few days old…) and that v26 of the PDF documentation lacks some structure elements like "table of contents", page numbers and some typographical standards used in older versions. (Indexing topics was never included…)

See: http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/digitalpubsuite_reference.pdf

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread about InDesign's documentation here in the forum.

At best it would be a "sticky" one at the top of the forum overview.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 12:02 AM   in reply to dissidently

The InDesign DPS stuff was just meant as an example for Adobe's documentation.

It does not mean you should read it for using InDesign…
    Sorry for the confusion.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 12:15 AM   in reply to dissidently

DPS in essence is a special case. At least for users of versions CS5 and CS5.5: Two special plugins by Adobe with extra functionality and a complex workflow to bring contents to the iPad (and other devices) as Apps.

DPS is more deeply integrated with InDesign CS6 and CC and installed together with InDesign. For CS5 and CS5.5 it is a separate install. If you are using CC, you cannot have an install for InDesign without DPS functionality.

DPS plugins are constantly updated every 6 to 10 weeks. Currently we are at version 27 of the tools…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 1:02 AM   in reply to dissidently

I know that InDesign CC has some autocorrect content, but only in its English dictionary. I suppose that I knwo it qute longer than you do.

I am happy that it will not have an option to use an OS or MS dictionary fo autocorrect, because these features in iOS and MS programs are terrible dangerous for correct writing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 2:07 AM   in reply to dissidently

No, but trolls like you are very mindless.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to dissidently

A couple of things...

First, there is actually a forum view that highlights what it considers misspelled words, which in my case is a good thing because I'm the world's worst typist. It doesn't auto-correct, and it loses some other functionality, though, that I considered essential so I turned it off and I don't remember how to get it back.

But don't put the blame for what the forum looks like on Adobe programming. We actually had a really funtional forum for many years, but it didn't integrate with social media and was hard to expand becasue it was completley custom coded. Corporate made a decision to switch to a hosted forum service, they picked Jive, and an older version at that, for mostly monetary reasons I expect, and that's the end of the story.

Auto-correct isn't a feature I even have turned on. I don't want software thinking it knows better than I do what I intended to type. That used to drive me absolutely crazy trying to write code for one of my programming classes in Word. Most longer text is is written outside ID and imported, and auto-correct inside ID doesn't function in that scenario, though you are certainly free to use a word-processor where it does.

Frankly, I don't see a problem with having to build the dictionary of correct spelling if you want to use auto-correct in ID, but, as I said, I don't use it. Auto-correct and spell check both lead to serious errors because we come to think they are a substitute for actual proof-reading.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

And there is a spell check button (I even press it occasionally) in the view I use. I think the toolbar may have been missing in that view that highlights misspelled words...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points