Skip navigation
mabehr1234
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop to pdf creates text and images that are not sharp. Why?

Jul 15, 2013 2:17 PM

Tags: #photoshop #pdf #indesign

I know that Photoshop is not the premier pdf creation software. I do have InDesign as well, but I'm much more familiar and comfortable with Photoshop (I have the CC versions of both) so I prefer to use it as my design and layout tool.

However, when I save as a pdf the resultant pdf file is blurry for images and text, not horribly so, but not sharp and clear as I would like. My pdf files are for the web and emailing so I need to keep the file size in check, but even when I up the PS resolution to 300psi it still is not as clear as I would like. Still blurry.

What do you Photoshop experts out there do to produce the sharpest pdf possible? Is it even possible using Photoshop only or do you have to use InDesign or Acrobat Pro to get the clarity and shapness?

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,946 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to mabehr1234

Do yourself a favour, and bite the bullet with InDesign.  It is not that hard

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/topics/indesign-tutorials.html

Photoshop is OK if your making a print, but even if you keep dpi high, it is not good for PDF.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 11:17 PM   in reply to mabehr1234

The pdf has the resolution you set when saving the pdf (provided the original file provides as much).

If text appears pixelated in the pdf then you may have applied Faux Styles (like faux italic) or Layer Styles to it or the font itself may have issues.

Text and vector elements should result in vector data in the pdf.

Can you provide screenshots/examples?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to mabehr1234

mabehr1234 wrote:

I know that Photoshop is not the premier pdf creation software. I do have InDesign as well, but I'm much more familiar and comfortable with Photoshop (I have the CC versions of both) so I prefer to use it as my design and layout tool.

This is kind of like saying "I know that a screwdriver is the correct tool for inserting screws, but I'm much more comfortable using a hammer, so I prefer to just hammer the screws in."

It works, sort of. But the results will never be as good. And you wouldn't want to use the screwdriver with nails, either. There are two different tool (programs) for a reason, and I think once you learn InDesign, you will find it to be a much better layout tool than Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to SRiegel

I gave an answer here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1255616?tstart=0

It would be the same answer here too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)