Skip navigation
Jokuc
Currently Being Moderated

Can't install Reader "Already installed"

Jul 15, 2013 4:45 PM

Tags: #remove #files #reader #can't_be_installed

So I had a problem with Reader where it gave me an error message saying ReaderSomething.msi (I don't really remember the name) could not be found. So I tried to uninstall reader to then install it again. Though when I tried to uninstall, some files did not want to be removed, in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Resource\CMap\  Identity-H and Identity-V. I tried to remove them myself, but for some reason they, or the map Reader 11.0 cannot be removed. I tried to re-install Reader by downloading the latest ver from the website, but when I tried to install it says that reader already is installed, but it isn't. This is very annoying. I have tried to remove every single reader file, including the ones in ProgramData. But still it says reader is already installed. A screenshot won't help, because it's just the installer that says Already installed

What do I do to make this work? I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Jokuc

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to Jokuc

Why not try the Removal Tool that C F McBlob posted?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 10:11 PM   in reply to Jokuc

Ah, yes you did; sorry.

Do you use the full installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ ?

One thing you could try is http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:34 PM   in reply to Jokuc

I have only one last idea: use SubInACL to either fix the permission for that entry, or delete it.

What is the full key to that entry?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to Jokuc

I was under the impression that you were unable to delete that key?  But if you can, I suggest that you create a System Restore Point before attempting to delete that key.

Regarding SubInACL, that program needs an input script, e.g. instructions to add, or delete, or change permissions of a key.  But if you can delete the key from regedit, then you won't need SubInACL.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 1:10 AM   in reply to Andymoller0

What is this totally untelated post about iTunes?  Some sort of spam...?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 9:16 PM   in reply to Jokuc

I have created a little batch file that uses SubInACL to change the key's permissions, then use reg.exe to delete the key.

Do the following

• download and unzip the attached file into C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
    • create a System Restore Point
    • double-click on the del_key.bat file to run it

I have not tested that batch file, as I do not want to corrupt my current Reader installation.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to Jokuc

You're welcome; glad it worked!

And thanks for the improved batch script!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points