Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pshop CC -- saving JPG & PNG file size bloat

Jul 15, 2013 5:15 PM

Tags: #png #jpg #file_size #saving_files #photoshop_cc

Saving JPGs & PNGs from Photoshop CC is creating what I can only describe as a obscene file bloat.  Just recently, what should have been a 7k jpg saved as a 1.1 mb jpg file.  PNGs which should average roughly 100-150k are coming out at 1.3mb.  If I use the "Save for Web", sometimes it gives me the proper sized images.

I have noticed this on 2 computers --- one a mac & one windows with completely different file sets.  So it is not an issue of my OS, the original files or anything specific to one particular common item.

FYI -- Doing the same thing with pshop cs6, I get the proper file sizes. 

I have included a sample image here.  This image is a straight out "save" from pshop CC  -- it is 1.1mb.  However, when I saved the same image as a JPG in pshop cs6, it was 7k.

bg.jpg

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to genericAndy

If you use quality 12 on a jpg save it will bloat the size, but not sure about this much.  Quality 10 is all you need.

You need to dig deeper in how you are saving, as I doubt that file save has changed for decades.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to genericAndy

Haven't had a PNG or JPG go wacky here in that way so far...

I think the issue is revealed by looking in File - File Info in the Raw Data section.  I don't know why, but there are a huge number of <rdf:li> XML elements showing up there with hex values in them.  I don't know what that means, exactly, but I believe the accumulation of that metadata explains the size increase.

Do any of the terms you see in the raw metadata mean anything to you?  Do you have 3rd party plug-ins that could be responsible for this?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:09 PM   in reply to genericAndy

It's metadata, in the XMP packet. Most of it is document ancestry info, based on previous versions, placed files, pasted files, etc.  Printing data could also increase the file size, paths, etc.

SFW doesn't include all the metadata by default, so saves a smaller file.

So, no bug, no bloat, just failing to understand what all you're saving.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:04 PM   in reply to genericAndy

genericAndy wrote:

ok, so how do i get it not to save that meta data when saving a JPG?…

That's what Save For Web is for. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to station_two

I had a similar problem at this post:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5523858#5523858

I created a new PS Preferences file and the bloat is gone. In my case all 'New Files' created in PS 64 bit were being appended with a Costco printer profile, adding about 1.4 MB to the file size.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points