Skip navigation
Megancia
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with Pathfinder

Jul 15, 2013 8:13 PM

Tags: #logo #trouble!!! #pathfinder #gradient_mesh #help_needed #pathfinder_not_working

I am trying to create a logo. The basic idea is that the name is in the shape of a chili pepper with the varigated colors of the pepper running throughout the letters. I started by high fidelity image tracing a photo of a chili, it came up with beautiful results. However, then when I got the letters placed inside the chili (and converted them to outlines) I couldn't get the color of the chili to stay only inside the letters. I tried having the letters in front, I tried having them in back. I've tried minus front and back, intersect, exclude, divide and others. The only thing that would happen is that my letters would disappear. So then I unfilled the letters and outlined the strokes and tried it all again. Nothing. So then I created a my own chili with the gradient mesh tool and tried all combinations again. And nothing worked. This was supposed to be a quick job for a friend and I've now spend way more time on it than I should've. I've done something similar to this before but with a solid color, so I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it. Could someone please help point me in the right directionScreen Shot 2013-07-15 at 10.10.56 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2013 3:56 AM   in reply to Megancia

Hello Megancia,

I am moving this to the general AI forum where you'll have a much better chance of getting a response.

Thank you,

Ed Sullivan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 4:01 AM   in reply to Megancia

Pathfinder is not what you want for this. Make the letters a compound path and use them as a clipping mask on your chili.

--OB

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 4:37 AM   in reply to Megancia

Megancia,

In addition to what OldBob said, you can use the original live Type (without creating outlines) as a Clipping Path for the Clipping Mask, and you can use the original photo of the chili (without the image tracing).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to Megancia

That is a group, not a compound path. See post #2

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to Megancia

Megancia,

Did you make a Compound Path of the outlined text as suggested by OldBob?

Or, you could Group the text and Transparency (flyout)>Make Opacity Mask.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

You Illustrator helpers are awesome.

Every time I move a thread to the AI main forum, someone (or several people as is the case here) jump right in to assist.

Great community!

Ed Sullivan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 12:54 PM   in reply to Megancia

Your problem is coming from multiple or nested compound paths. You can fix this by

1. releasing all the existing compound paths & groups
    2. select all the inside shapes, group them, hide them
    3. select the remainng outer shapes , group them
    4. show all, select both groups, use pathfinder to minus front
    5. now when you use your logo as a mask it will work

Basically when you use this logo as a mask, Illustrator likes the compound path defined as one compound, rather than a nested compound.

For step 4 you could alternatively use make compound rather than pathfinder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 2:22 AM   in reply to Megancia

bit of a sideline but isn't it a bit pointless to use the whole chilli image? all you're going to see is a bit of a gradient and maybe some highlights.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 2:29 AM   in reply to Ed Sullivan

Ed,

I for one appreciate you kind words. I also see this forum as a very friendly and helpful place.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points