Skip navigation
jshhndsd91
Currently Being Moderated

Saving Illustrator documents as PDF's

Jul 15, 2013 8:32 PM

Tags: #pdf #saving #ilustrator

Hi Adobe Community,

I just recently came across this problem while trying to save an illustrator file as a pdf.

Note that the original file was created on a Mac in illustrator CS6 and saved as a pdf and given to me to edit text on a PC in illustrator CS4.

I didn't have the correct font for a particular text but fortunately I was able to download and install it.

I opened the pdf created in the CS6 version in CS4 and realized that the font for just two letters had changed. I amended the problem by switching to the correct font and saved it as a pdf. When I open that pdf again it shows the same problem. The two letters of a text are different from the original.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2013 12:10 AM   in reply to jshhndsd91

Probably some Unicode/ glyph substituition problem, eitehr in the font itself, the AI settings or the difference between versions. Impossible to tell without knowing the exact details.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to jshhndsd91

Is there any pattern to what the 2 chracters are or formatting on them? What font and technology are they? They may have used an opentype version with more charachters or enabled subsetting of fonts in pdf.

Ask them to send you a .ai file saved down to CS4.  Illustrator is not designed to edit .pdf files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points