Skip navigation
Master Lomaxus
Currently Being Moderated

Audio going 10x faster than video

Jul 15, 2013 9:16 PM

Tags: #problem #adobe #audio #premiere_elements_11

That is probably a pretty horrible title, and it may be inaccurate.  I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 11, and I opened a 3minute and 12 second video and audio clip of me playing drums.  When I place it on the timeline, the audio in the audio track is all jumbled within the first 20 seconds.  When I play it, it sounds like the audio is going at a super high rate of speed. (i.e 10x faster, probably more, actually)  The video then continues to play for the remainder of it's duration, without any audio.  I'm not sure what other information you might need.  Any help would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, I'm using an Acer laptop with Windows 7 64-bit,  a Dual core 2.2 GHz processor, 3gb RAM, 5400RPM 320gb hard drive.  I realize those specs are pretty weak, but I don't feel like that would be causing my problem, but who knows.

Also, the file is a .mov file from a ZoomQ3HD.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2013 3:35 AM   in reply to Master Lomaxus
    • Install the latest version of QuickTime if you don't already have it.
    • Do you have a red line running across the timeline when you first load your file?
    • Please analyse your clip with the free MediaInfo tool and post a screenshot. From what I can see at http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/q3hd/ that camera performs all kinds of jiggery pokery with sound and I wonder if it is a format PRE understands.
    • I see the camera has several shooting modes - the analysis screenshot should make it obvious but do you recall offhand which mode you used?
    • Does the sound work OK with the cameras own software, or if you transfer it to iTunes/iPod?

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to nealeh

What are your project specs (listed under the Edit menu)? You should be using the Flip HD specs or 1280x720 AVCHD Lite.

Premiere Elements 11 usually sets up its project automatically based on your video -- but it can have problems reading the specs on an MOV file, so you may need to do that manually.

Also, have you installed the camcorder's software on your computer? Doing this can sometimes install important codecs.

This camcorder uses a lot of proprietary codecs and is known to cause problems for a number of video editors. Here's a discussion started by someone who can't get it to work on Final Cut Pro.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2805047?start=0&tstart=0

So, worst case, you may need to edit the video in the software that came with the camera. Worst case. Though if you've followed Neale's and my suggestions (make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime!) you may be able to get it to work in Premiere Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to Master Lomaxus

You're really not seeing a red line above the timeline in Expert View when you first load your file? I'd expect the program would require 1280x720 project settings.

Otherwise, I don't see anything that would cause the problems you're describing. Although there is also very little vital information reported in MediaInfo also.

According to this page, the Zoom can record at a 44.1k, 48k or 96k sampling rate in either 16 bit or 24 WAV.

http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/handheld-video-recorders/q3hd/

You could certainly get some screwy audio if you've recording at 96k or in 24-bit rather than the traditional 16-bit. Do you know at what settings your audio was recorded?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Oh, and here's the software that would have come with the camcorder. Might we worth installing it and seeing how your video edits in it.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/downloads/q3hd/software/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Master Lomaxus

Are you sure you are in Expert View in Premiere Elements 11? You really should be seeing red lines above the clips after you've done a Fix Quality Problems. But oh well.

Yes, if you can, try shooting some footage with the audio set to 44.1k sampling recording at 16 bit, bring that into Premiere Elements and see if that makes a difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to Master Lomaxus

Master Lomaxus

Could you please post the Tree version of the MediaInfo readout? To get at it you can click on the arrow at the end of the message at the middle right side of the readout that you posted? I am particularly interested in the audio codec and if it is twos. I have found that to be a very problematic audio codec in at least one instance where I had to deal with it with a user.

Your video codec represented as AVC is probably H.264. And, it looks like the file has the .mov file extension. To me, the rest of those video properties appear atypical, that is, 848 x 480 16:9 @ 59.94 frames per second (probably progressive).

As a consideration for your troubleshooting, I would offer a manually set Premiere Elements project preset of:

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

But before all that, you might want to read about my prior encounter with twos audio and decide if the issues in the following apply to your situation as well. If they do, you may want to check out my suggestion to the user in that case. (See Post 8 in the thread cited)

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77558

I realize the brand of camera is not the same, but...

If any questions about that thread or this matter, please ask me here in your thread.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to Master Lomaxus

Master Lomaxus

Just a quick question. Still thinking about your recent reports.

Did you try importing the video with the AVCHD 1080p60 project preset? Did that have any impact on the results at play back time?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 4:18 PM   in reply to Master Lomaxus

Very strange. I don't understand that pixel size - other than it is not a standard one for PRE. Have you tried shooting footage in, say, the 720p or full HD settings? If not try that and see if that works in PRE.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to Master Lomaxus

Master Lomaxus

I looked around for some documentation on that lpcm audio and have not found anything that would help with that. But if AAC works for you, I would go with it.

When you changed the audio from lpcm to AAC, did you change the video compression as well?

If necessary, is there anyway for you to post a problem sample for us to test? I could not find any online to test. But I suspect that you are best with the AAC.

Good job troubleshooting.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I am having this exact problem for the first time and not sure how to fix it either. The audio and video are synched perfectly when played in Quicktime but as soon as it goes in Premiere Elements the audio goes way too fast.

Not sure what to do at this point and not sure if this problem was ever solved.

I appreciate any info regarding this situation. 

Thanks,

Scarsongs

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 6:23 PM   in reply to Scarsongs

Welcome to the forum.

What are the exact specifications of the video files that you are using, and what is the Project Setting? What version of PrE are you using, and what version of OS, is involved?

That might help us help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 7:24 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hey Hunt,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using PrE Elements 11. Recorded in HD 1080/30 PCM 48kHz 16Bit.

I'm running 10.6.8

What exactly in the project settings should I be taking note of?

Thanks,

Scarsongs

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points