Skip navigation
pbs5
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble with URLs in pdfs

Jul 15, 2013 11:08 PM

I am having difficulties with URL links in pdf text, in Reader v 11.0.03.37:

(1) if the link extends to more than one line, then only the first line is "live", so clicking on it will not work properly.

(2) If instead you copy & paste the link into the browser address box, and there happened to be an intended hyphen in it at the end of a line, then this hyphen will not be included in the copy, so again the link will not work (unless you notice the hyphen is missing, and type it back in).

How can these problems be avoided - particularly when creating a pdf with links for other people to use?

Thank you,

Peter

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to pbs5

How do you create these PDFs?

Do you have the the same problem with the attached test PDF?

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 12:32 AM   in reply to pbs5

You are probably relying on the automatic hyperlinking in Adobe Reader. This is a very simple scan for things that look like URLs.

If you want more complex links (e.g. not to the same as the text in a single line on the page), you have to actually add the links explicitly, perhaps in Acrobat.

The removal of hyphens is a normal part of copy-paste processing, and not specific to URLs. Of course, it assumes hyphens are serving to split a word, which isn't always the case, but you can't turn it off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 1:09 AM   in reply to pbs5

1) If I add a hyperlink in Word then use the Acrobat add-in to Word, to make the PDF (not print-to-PDF), I get a working matching hyperlink.

2) Actually Word does do this sometimes. Word will remove an automatically inserted hyphen (put there as part of automatic hyphenation) when you copy and paste, but not a hyphen which is the product of splitting a hyphenated word. The problem is that, once you have a PDF, either kind of hyphen is just a single, undistinguishable, character. [Except for a tagged PDF]. Adobe had to decide to always-remove or always-leave. I don't know if they made the right call, but there has probably been analysis of the two kinds of hyphen-at-end-of-line and their relative frequency.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points