Skip navigation
osubigtimefan
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Image Gets Compressed In MS Word

Jul 15, 2013 11:27 PM

I can't figure this out... and I've tried everything I know / have been able to find on Google.

I'm using Microsoft Word 2010. When I save the document I use Save as > PDF

I created a few images for headers inside of Photoshop CS6. I've tried quite a few resolutions (600, 300, 220, 150, 96, 72) and I've also done all of the tips out there for preventing compression (going into settings > advanced > turning compression off, clicking image going to format preventing compression, and also the save as > tools > 220 dpi/use document compression).

I've also tried a ton of different file types: Jpg, png, gif, tiff, and pdf.

None of this works and my images keep getting compressed when it comes out in PDF.

How do I get this to stop compressing my images?

P.S. The image looks TOTALLY fine inside of the document. But as soon as I export it looks compressed and choppy.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to osubigtimefan

That's a good question for a Microsoft Word forum somewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 11:56 PM   in reply to osubigtimefan

Check the tiny little "Options" thing next to the file dialog button. It contains settings for resolution. By default it will use the document's print DPI setting.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to osubigtimefan

Don't use Save As > PDF to export the document. Instead print the document to a PDF and select the High Quality Print setting. This isn't going to prevent the image from looking like a raster image when you zoom in on the PDF, but it will keep the compression to a minimum.

On a side note, for this type of work you should really be using Illustrator if you want to retain good quality of your image when exported as a PDF as well as not using Word for this type of work. Word doesn't do the best when it comes to retaining image quality when it's output as a PDF, even when you do use the Print to PDF option as I suggested. The only way you're going to be able to retain high quality output is to setup the graphic in Illustrator, save it as an Illustrator EPS, and then import that into Word. The image below shows the difference in quality between an eps and a png in Word.

EPS above and PNG below as it appears in Word at 100% zoom.

Clipboard02.jpg

Same setup but at 500% zoom. While the PNG looks to be better quality than the EPS, Word doesn't render EPS files 100% accurately for screen which is why the PNG looks better.

Clipboard03.jpg

Print to PDF from the Word file. Note that the EPS file looks great at a zoom level of 500% because it's using vectors while the PNG below it is pixelated because the printed version of the logo is accurate to the raster version.

Clipboard04.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to osubigtimefan

Outside of Word, no. If it's something that has to be distributed to other people then Word is your best option.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points