Skip navigation
Prendergastmaurice
Currently Being Moderated

How do I find either move into sync or slide into sync with premier elements 11?

Jul 16, 2013 2:04 AM

Tags: #and #video #audio #sync

I cannot get the instructions (right click on the offset number) to work.  Any tips?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2013 3:39 AM   in reply to Prendergastmaurice
    • Sync what with what?
    • What instructions are you referring to?

Check annonuncement #3 on the PRE forum main page for details of the kind of information you need to give to get the best help from these forums.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to Prendergastmaurice

Prendergastmaurice

Your information, Sync Linked Clip and Offset Numbers and Premiere Elements 11, were very helpful.

I believe I know exactly what you are talking about. It is the Sync Link Clips feature that has been reported to be working according to the Premiere Elements 11 Help PDF, but in reality has not worked for me since the days of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. I have written and asked about this in this forum last year and never received any answer to my question....in the form of "it does not work" or "telling me what I am missing in the instructions to get it to work". I am inclined to believe "it does not work", since, on the same computer, it works for Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 but not versions later than 8.0/8.0.1.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4993929

Hopefully your thread will stir up some action on getting an answer on this, either...

a. It really does not work in Premiere Elements later than 8.0/8.0.1

or

b. Other

Thanks for asking.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Prendergastmaurice

Welcome to the forum.

In the event that the Sync Function does not work, as ATR reports, then this FAQ Entry might be useful in getting the syncing done, but by "hand." http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436751?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

I know you are just about to go on your trip to Australia.

But, you can answer this Sync Linked Clips matter first hand since you have both Premiere Elements 4 and Premiere Elements 11.

At moment ago, I just tried to do this again with these two versions, using the same clip. Results (as usual and as expected)...the Sync Linked Clip feature works in Premiere Elements 4 and not in Premiere Elements 11.

To date no one has come forward to confirm or refute that. And, the Premiere Elements Help PDF continues to state can do for all versions.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I just tried it in PrE 11, and agree with you - it should work, but does not. Did not have time to test in PrE 4, but last time that I needed to sync material, it did work for me in that version.

Not sure what got broken, but as the GUI was redesigned for PrE 11, I assume that "something" got disconnected, and never "reconnected?"

Take care,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 9:39 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Thanks for checking that out.

But, I would point out that this Sync Linked Clips feature got broken before Premiere Elements 11 since it also does not work in Premiere Elements 10 or 9.0/9.0.1. But it is working here in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and earlier.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

In testing this in PRE11 I noticed that when Alt-dragging the audio the preview window shows a split-screen. At first I thought it was maybe the current and subsequent frame but on close inspection they are the exact same frame.

Anyone know of the reason for the preview displaying this way?

1.jpg

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to nealeh

Neale

It looks to me like the counterpart of doing a video clip overlay and previewing the before and after spots for the overlay candidate placement in the Edit Mode Monitor. You see that kind of effect that you show in the Edit Mode Monitor when you hold down the Ctrl key of the computer main keyboard and drag the video overlay candidate over the video area to receive the overlay.

Once you have the audio clip "on the move with the Alt key", holding down the Ctrl key as you move the Audio will get you the same type of effect. At least that is what I am observing.

But no matter what, the Sync Linked Clips is not kicking in in versions 11, 10, or 9.0/9.0.1.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to Prendergastmaurice

Prendergastmaurice

Thanks for the follow up.

You wrote

Too bad the re-sync functions are no longer operational-- is there any way of getting an official answer or fix from Adobe?

I have not found a way to interest anyone that I know of to correct this situation or say outright that there is a mistake in the Premiere Elements Help PDF for version 9.0/9.0.1, 10, and 11 with regard to Sync Linked Clips and that the feature is not longer offered. You could try the Adobe Feature Request Bug Form route

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Please review the following to see if any of it is what you seek. If it is not, perhaps give more details.

1. If you have a video on Video 1 and audio linked to it on Audio 1 and you want to replace frames with a still without unlinking the audio from the video, then that can be done by what is called overlay. To do that, hold down the Ctrl key of the computer main keyboard and click/drag the overlay candidate to the location of the Timeline Indicator and place it there. Before you release the Ctrl key and mouse cursor click, you can drag the photo back and forth across the video and see the before and after location in the Edit Mode monitor. When you are sure of the position for placement, release the mouse click for the placement of the photo overlay.

2. It sounds like you are beyond the following, but I will mention it anyway, just in case.

a. if you want to separate audio from video, right click the file on the Timeline and select delete audio.

b. if you have video and audio that you want to put in sync, align them as closely as possible, expanded the Timeline with the - + slider and then nudge the two in sync. To do that, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you tap the left or right arrow key. A one tap results in a nudge of 1 frame. If you hold down the Shift+Alt, a one tap results in a nudge of 5 frames.

Have you seen the following Adobe document on arranging clips in the Expert view Timeline?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS9B8F8208-EAE8-4b4 9-A79B-9479B46A8981.html

Please let us know if any of the above targeted your questions. If not, please let me know more details of where I went off target.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to Prendergastmaurice

Prendergastmaurine

Thank you for the follow up.

Please consider:

1. Video on Video 1 linked to its audio on Audio 1.

a. When you set up the project, either you or the program sets a project preset which directs the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes (no black borders). So I am assuming that you are looking at Video 1/Audio 1 with no black borders displaying at playback in the monitor. Let us say that the video is 16:9.

2. You have a photo 4:3 that you want to insert into that video/audio without disturbing the link between them.

a. Import your photo 4:3 and drag it to the Timeline Video 2. Click on it to highlight it. Then via the bounding box handles in the monitor or Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and its Scale property, scale the photo to just fill the space in the monitor (to no black borders). You should be just scaling not stretching as in distorting.

3. Then do the Ctrl hold down, click/drag of the photo to overlay the frames of the video.

The scaling is quick and easy and should not need any deleting of the audio.

Please check it out and let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Prendergastmaurice

There many different ways of achieving the same end result in PRE and you could do things with the video track on Video1 to prevent it interfering with your overlays. But from what you describe a full frame black (or any solid colour) video on Video 2 and your still image on Video 3 will work fine.

For a bit of variety you might want to experiment with fading them in and out, or slide them into position, as an alternative to a straight cut.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Prendergastmaurice

Prendergastmaurice

I do not think that a double overlay is going to work....

What might work, is the photo overlay of the frames involved, generating your black borders and then placing a color matte or the like on the video track directly above the overlay. The color matte could be a solid color or a decorative background created in a variety of places.

Please update us on your exploration and experimentation.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...

I did not see Nealeh's reply until after I had posted this post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to Prendergastmaurice

Prendergastmaurice

Thanks for the update.

Glad that worked for you.

However, do you not get the same end result with just the overlay of the photo on the designated video frames?

(Ctrl hold down, as you drag the photo unto the video frames)

But, if you have found the best way for you to handle your specific situation, the adage "do not mess with a good thing" follows.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to Prendergastmaurice

Prendergastmaurice

Thanks for that follow up.

I was very hesitant to mention it since you said that you devised a workflow that worked for you.

But, curiosity got the best of me, so I mentioned it. Glad it helped.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points