Skip navigation
Avalanche01
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 10 slow GUI refresh

Jul 16, 2013 3:36 AM

Tags: #10 #gui #slow #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_10 #elements_10 #refresh

Hi all,

I am experiencing a very slow GUI refresh rate using Premiere Elements 10. It has been happening since I first started using the program, but I am using it a bit more now and it's starting to frustrate me.

Basically, as soon as I open the program and create a new project, any action which changes the screen e.g. maximising, resizing the timeline, changing the timeline scale etc. occurs very slowly. For example, maximising the window takes approximately 4 seconds to complete, and resizing the timeline is very laggy.

It is shown reasonably well in the following clip, although it is much more pronounced for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C7GbqXir8o&feature=youtu.be

This issue has been discussed in a few other questions, but none resolved the issue (that I have found) or have kind of gone off topic, so thought I would ask myself in an effort to resolve it.

A couple of points to note:

• Occurs WITHOUT any video loaded i.e. with a completely empty project. (Loading video doesn't have any effect)
  • It is not affected by the selected preset. They all have the same issue.
  • Somewhat curiously, playback of video is fine.
  • Disabling desktop composition as suggested in another post on this issue results in a slight improvement, but certainly does not make it go away.

Computer specs:

• Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 (I am using the 64 bit version of premiere elements)
  • Core i5 2500
  • 8 Gb RAM
  • EVGA GTX 460 1Gb
  • Asus Z77 sabretooth motherboard
  • Primary drive 2x 64Gb SSD's RAID 1 (OS and performance sensitive applications incl. Premier Elements)
  • Secondary drive 2x 1Tb HDD's RAID 1 (Other applications & data storage)

Note that the drive configuration and motherboard have been changed recently, and had no effect on this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to Avalanche01

Don't assume it's not related to your project settings. How closely your video format is matched to your project settings plays the biggest role in the program's performance!

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you started your Premiere elements project, which project settings did you select? If you've selectede the correct project settings,  you will NOT see red lines above your clips when you add them to the timeline in Timeline mode. Is this the case in your project?

If you are using photos, have you ensured that they are all resized to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size? Oversized photos are the chief reason the program bogs down and runs out of memory.

Your hardware is on the lower end of system reqs for high-definition video (regardless of what Adobe says), so that could be affecting your performance also. But the program shouldn't slog along if you've got things set up properly and you're editing camcorder video.

Assuming, of course, you've got all of the Windows Updates (including non-critical updates that don't install automatically) and, especially, if you've got the latest version of Quicktime and the latest drivers for your video card downloaded directly from http://www.GeForce.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to Avalanche01

Adding to what Steve said about settings, some past discussions that may help

Importing Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065281

-and project settings http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112086

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to Avalanche01

Also, with any GUI issues, my first recommendation is to verify that the nVidia video driver is up to date, as Steve mentions above.

Do this manually via the nVidia Web site, where you will plug in your GTX 460 and your OS. Then check that the latest nVidia driver is the one that you have installed.

I do not trust the OS, or any driver utility, to tell me if I have the latest, as they are usually 6 mos. out of date, and that can mean at least 6 driver versions behind. Manual checking is the best.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Avalanche01

Avalanche01

While you are working with SG with his line of troubleshooting which directs you to looking into how your project is set up, I would like to address the three points that you demo'd in your attached video

1. Scrolling this bar causes Ghost trails on the Timeline.

You can see this in varying degrees in various versions of Premiere Elements demo'd by regular users and pros with their video tutorials. And none of them have issues with project performance.

2. The Shuttle on the Timeline Flickers during playback.

I could not see this point in your video so I am not sure about this point.

3. Bits of Clips Remain on the Timeline (Small Blocks, Lines, et)

Those small blocks that you demo'd can be seen in versions of Premiere Elements besides 10. They appear at the spot of mouse click IF you click and drag a clip at the center of the clip. If you click and drag a clip by its title bar, you do not see these blocks. I do not believe them to be Clip Remains. On the other hand, if (with the Timeline expanded) you see very thin vertical black lines scattered in the tracks, they are probably slivers or leftovers of clips. I see no evidence of that in your demo.

Your video did not show any evidence of the rate of image population of the Timeline thumbnails since you appear to have opted for the Video Track Display Style which shows only one thumbnail with image at the beginning of the clip and one thumbnail with image at the end of the clip. That appeared to establish quickly enough. But, there are 3 other Video Track Display Styles, one being the clip with thumbnails (with image) across the entire duration of the clip.

I am getting the impression that you are having performance issues with your actual projects are trying to find the answer to those issues in the observations that you have made. I think you would have a stronger case if you first follow up with SG on establishing your best possible "actual" project-computer setup and then decide what next.

Once you have worked through the project details with SG and depending on how things go, I will be looking forward to...

Can we assume that you have gone through the usual drill:

a. checking your playback quality and playback settings

b. making sure that your video card driver is up to date according to the manufacturer of the video card

c. defragmented

d. cleaned with regular and registry cleaner

e. checked for pile ups of previews, conformed audio, and conformed video files.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...more on those blocks another time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

One caveat about nVidia updates... I don't have a link, but some recent Premiere Pro discussions have indicated (I can't remember details) some problems with the 320 series of nVidia driver... with the advice to stick with the 311 series driver... I think 311.50 was mentioned as being the last "good/stable" driver

I have NO idea if the same would be true for Premiere Elements

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR and Bill -- Are you aware of issues with setting up drives with a RAID 1 configuration?

I know there is one RAID configuration that's considered obsolete because it slows performance with no added value.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

I would need to do my homework on this, but my recollection is RAID 0 is the one to keep away from.

ATR

Add On....I took a look at my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit which has my Premiere Elements versions installed and running well.

Manage

Disc Management

when I right clicked the drives there I see the opportunities there that I have for drive type change....only have Convert to Dynamic Disk

(the type has always been "basic")

I have not made any changes from the "basic" set.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to Avalanche01

Avanlanche01

Thanks for the follow up.

As for the Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks), I would think that you want to keep them off the SSD and have them on a supplementary drive with lots of hard drive space to accept the files/folders that are automatically generated and deposited there during one or more of the program's operations. What is the capacity of this SSD? Do you work from supplemental drives for storage of scratch disks, video files, et al?

As for maintenance in these areas...

Adobe Folder (default Windows, Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/version)....preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder and conformed audio (cfa and pek sets) in the Media Cache Folder.

....consequences, previews files deletion, more rendering for preview purposes as indicated; conformed audio, program will regenerate them as needed.

Edit Menu/Preferences/Media. The path to the Media Cache Database is shown there,  but you can hit the Clean button in that preference area to get rid of the conformed video (.mcdb).

....consequences, conformeed video, program will regenerate them as needed.

If you are not having playback problems then we will bypass that for now. If you want to check into them for some reasons, then right click the monitor and select Playback Quality to determine if you are working from Automatic or Highest and if it makes a difference for your workflow. OR select Playback Settings and check them out.

I am not sure what computer optimization program(s) that you have used, but I have been using ccleaner for regular and when indicated registry clean up for a long time with good never bad after effects. And, if used as a registry cleaner, it provides an option for registry backup. But consider what you feel comfortable with and what works for you.

The time that it takes for the thumbnail to refresh when using the - + slider to expand the Timeline is relatively quick, not necessarily instantaneous...depends on the duration and nature of the Timeline content.

I saw that the red line over the Timeline content was mentioned. Please excuse if you know the following, but just in case...

the program uses a no colored line, red line, green line system to let the user know if rendering of the Timeline is needed to get the post possible preview of what you are seeing the Edit Mode Monitor. No colored line or a green line indicates that the program feels you are getting the best possible preview. But every time you edit that video, you will get that red line with the same implications. Timeline rendering is a preview thing and not doing it does not provide you from obtaining an export. However, it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later, especially relating to titles, transitions, effects, and non native format video content.

At this point in time, is your issue solely with the refreshing of the video track thumbnails when using the - + slider above the Timeline?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to Avalanche01

Avalanche01

We will be watching for further developments.

But I did want to follow up on some of your comments in your latest post.

When you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks where do you have the Video Previews and Audio Previews directed - Same As Project or a specific path?

And, when you open a project and set the project preset in the new product dialog, what do you have in the Save In: location in the new project dialog?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points