Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

multiplex files won't drag from source to edit window

Jul 16, 2013 3:05 PM

I have .mov files from the SLR, the audio can been seen and played from the Source window.  However, and this has occured withing past couple of days, I can not grap the file from the window and move it down to editing.  The video will drag, but I can not get the audio to come down even as a seperate file.  There must be something I did unknowingly a couple of days ago.  I have been all over the menus and can't find a solution.

chuck

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to chuck122441

Don't drag the camera icon, drag from the middle of the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to chuck122441

Premiere Pro CC no longer asks you to create a sequence upon creating a project, so make sure you do that on your own via any of the several methods available.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:47 PM   in reply to chuck122441

Check your track targeting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to shooternz

That won't matter for a drag and drop.

What exactly does happen when you try?  Post a screen shot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

That won't matter for a drag and drop.

Yes it does.

If you have either V1 or A1 Sources un targeted...you will not get either the video or audio (respectively) to drop into the timelines.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to shooternz

That's not correct, Craig.  Drag and drop works irrespective of targeting and routing, in both CS6 and CC7.

Check it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:25 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

V and A have to be targeted in my Sequences to drop V or A from a clip in source window.

They would be redundant or a bug if they didnt .  Why would they be there?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:27 PM   in reply to shooternz

Targeting and routing are there for the Insert/Overwrite commands, via mouse or keyboard, but they don't have any effect on a drag and drop.  (At least here they don't.  Never have.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 10:35 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

(At least here they don't.  Never have.)

Some one else needs to chime in because it is unlikely that there are  2 ways this works.

Steven Gotz may make us a demo screen capture movie.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 11:07 PM   in reply to shooternz

You rang?

My guess is that Jim and I are both not understanding what shooternz is saying because, well, he is wrong. And I don't remember that happening lately, so perhaps we are missing something.

As requested... This is Premiere Pro CC with the latest updates. (I just checked to make sure.)

Edit: In fact, the tooltip even says what it is for.

Capture.PNG

And yes, I tried the other V1 and A1 for track targeting and that didn't make a difference either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 12:00 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I'm seeing exactly what you show, Steven. However, if source patching is enabled for only a video track, then on dragging from the Source Monitor only the video gets added to the sequence. And, naturally, vice versa if source patching is enabled for only an audio track.

What I find odd is that I can drop onto any track regardless of which one is selected for source patching. For example, if V1 is selected, I can drop on V2. I'll check whether that's by design.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Funny, I never thought to do that. Mark is correct. If only the video is enabled, video is all you get. Hmm. that could be handy if you really didn't want audio. It would allow you to work faster by dragging the video without thinking about not getting the audio.

Just one more way to get a job done. Adobe is good at providing multiple methods of attack.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 4:59 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

if source patching is enabled for only a video track, then on dragging from the Source Monitor only the video gets added to the sequence.

I'm not seeing that either.  With all targeting and routing off, I still get the entire clip if dragged.  The only way I can drag just the video is by dragging the filmstrip icon, and the same for audio with the waveform icon.

All of this is exactly what I'd expect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Mark said

I'm seeing exactly what you show, Steven. ....

However, if source patching is enabled for only a video track, then on dragging from the Source Monitor only the video gets added to the sequence. And, naturally, vice versa if source patching is enabled for only an audio track.

Thats what I am talking about too. ..and it suits me perfectly.

The anomally is that with neither A1 V1 selected ...audio and Video is styill both dropable.

I am fine with that too even though its a little illogical. (Dont fix it on my account)

Thanx for doing the great Vid Steven... you just missed out the important extra option but that was a good way to point out the difference in the discussion... before Jim and I came to blows!.

BTW - nice voice you have.

FWIW: Expanding on why it suits me to only drag one , the other or both by using the Source Selector.

In the case of a shoot (edit) where I have Synch scenes as well as MOS.. that selector is the fastest workflow for me because I can choose quickly on the fly what I want in the Timeline. (audio, video, both)

On a shoot (edit) with all MOS...I map all the clips to No Audio Channnels at the out set and never have to make the decison again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Mark Mapes wrote:

I'm seeing exactly what you show, Steven. However, if source patching is enabled for only a video track, then on dragging from the Source Monitor only the video gets added to the sequence. And, naturally, vice versa if source patching is enabled for only an audio track.

This new functionality in Premiere Pro CC is bothersome. Mark, any way to put it back the way it was in CS6 where this wasn't the case?

In CS6, you could always drag and drop if you wanted regardless of if one track was selected or both, or none. Source patching says its "for inserts and overwrites" right? So having only audio or video selected allows you to do insert or overwrite edits and bring only the Audio or only the Video onto a sequence. That's great. BUT...if you decide you want both, in CS6 you could simply drag and drop. Most of my clips I don't want the audio so my workflow in CS6 was to use the "," or "." key to insert and overwrite clips and then if I wanted both I'd just drag and drop. Easy. Now, that functionality in CC is disabled and I have to select that source patch to drag and drop (which IMO shouldn't be related to the insert/overwrite patch), and then deselect it when I want to go back.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to DMH79

In CS6, you could always drag and drop if you wanted regardless of if one track was selected or both, or none.

I agree.  That's the way it should be for a drag.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points