• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pressing enter does not display catalog

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used FrameMaker years ago and I always pressed <enter> to display the catalog of styles available at an insertion point. Using FrameMaker 11 now the <enter> key acts like it would in Word, that is, it creates a new paragraph or moves to the next line.

Looking in the Adobe Frame user guide, it describes pressing enter to display the catalog also.

Is it something they've configured at the place I'm working? Is it possible it's because it's a non-US keyboard? It's Dutch, almost exactly the same as US. Does anyone know how I can configure this in the settings?

Thanks in advance,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually came across this blog post that described pressing either Ctrl + 9 or F9 to bring up the "quick catalog", AKA "smart insert" menu.

http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2012/11/smart-insert-in-fm11.html

This still shows it being done by pressing "enter" for FM 11:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/WSf0ed2a6d7fb076883d36cf4 413721b00fca-8000.html

As I say however, that doesn't seem to work. The one above does, so I have what I need now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever it is worth, the second link in your post (the one to help.adobe.com) shows a table in which Enter is used only for the Elements quick catalog.

On the other hand, I have been using FrameMaker for many years, and I cannot believe that pressing Enter by itself would display a catalog. In my experience, it always creates a new paragraph or an element (in structured FrameMaker).

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes the help for FM 11 does describe using enter to pop up the Elements catalog, but this would apply to strucured FM and I'm using unstructured right now. I must simply be remembering wrong about using it for the paragraph quick catalog, it's been a while since I've used FrameMaker at all. In any case Ctrl +9 works fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Smart Insert feature is simply a better way to display the mechanisms that were previously displayed in the lower left corner of the doc or structure view windows.

Strictly speaking, the catalog itself is not displayed, but the contents of the para, character, element catalogs are displayed in the Smart Insert area when using various control keys, or in the context of structured Frame, sometimes when hitting Enter.

FWIW, the most useful of these Smart Insert boxes are for conditional text (Ctrl 4, 5, 6), which allow me to bypass the Conditional Text tab in the vast majority of cases.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11

(and voice in many of those feature videos)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my ergonomic needs, the less mouse, the better.

My when my paragraph quick catalog appears, the selector responds to the mouse pointer location, rather than what I am typing.

I want to be able to use a single key or combination, such as F9, and then type the paratag name.

Any suggestions?

"Moving the mouse" is inconsistent with "the less mouse, the better."

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way it works now in FM11 - press F9, then type ahead to match and hit Enter to apply the tag. FM9 & 10 were a bit flakey with the behaviour, and FM8 and earlier were quite reliable.

Note: with very long lists of tags, if the mouse pointer happens to also be over the area where the tag pick-list pops up, then there might be some interference with the type ahead under some circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2013 Aug 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arnis,

Thanks.

In my experience with FM11, the mouse pointer is almost always over the area where the tag list appears, since that's where I most recently used the mouse.

How do I configure FM11 so the tag list appears at the edge of the window each time?

Best,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2013 Aug 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, you can't.

The list pop-up location is tied-in to the cursor location. You have to (re)train yourself to keep the mouse away from the cursor...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines