Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PE11: default project settings = last used project ?

Jul 17, 2013 1:35 AM

I've read here somewhere (I can't find the thread again) that PE11 always uses as default project setting (so before a single clip is added to the assetspanel or timeline) the project settings of your last project ?

Is this above correct ?

In my  case PE11 always chooses 1080i 25 for new empty projects while my projects (and footage) are in 1080p50. So I every time has to choose new project / settings etc

I want to reinstall PE11 (uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall and reconfigurate) after finishing my current project but I have to be shure first that PE11 uses as default project settings for empty new projects the last one that was used .. ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2013 5:18 AM   in reply to fredowww66

Premiere Elements will always default to the last settings you selected when you set up a project.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

Let us talk specific to Premiere Elements 11 Windows. Focus on the program getting first grabs on the project preset in the new project dialog.

When you open a new project, you are always going to have the Premiere Elements 11 project preset default of

If NTSC setup: NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30

or

If PAL setup: PAL AVCHD Full 1080i30

Before you import the source media, you can go to File Menu/New/Project and the new project dialog and prove that to yourself.

That is the case, regardless of

whatever the project preset setting was for the last saved/closed project

or

whatever the project preset setting was for any unsaved/closed prior project

When you drag the first video clip to the Timeline, the program is supposed to set the project preset to a match for the properties of your specific source media. And, if it cannot recognize a matching project preset for you, it gives you the default Full 1080i as your project preset which may not be the best for your project setting. That is when you do the manual set of the project preset (File Menu/New/Project).

Premiere Elements 11 does not remember what you set for your last project preset in the new project dialog from new project to new project. But for a given project that is saved/closed/reopened, the project preset will remain as set by you or the program when that project was started.

I have found that the program will remember from new project to new project what you set last for the the mode, that is, Quick versus Expert.

And, I have found that the program has serious problems in regard to saved/closed/reopening with regard to features of Window Menu/Dual Monitor Workspace.

On the other hand, when you look at versions earlier than 11, where the user gets first grabs at the new project dialog, that new project dialog will show the project preset that was set last and not its default of NTSC DV Standard or PAL DV Standard.

The above have been my observations related to what you wrote

I want to reinstall PE11 (uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall and reconfigurate) after finishing my current project but I have to be shure first that PE11 uses as default project settings for empty new projects the last one that was used .. ?

Consequently, I do not believe you have any say in the matter. It is what it is.

Please let me know if I have misinterpreted your questions on this. Also, please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarifiation on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

Thanks for the follow up. I just want to make sure you are OK on the following.

I've now tried also that automatic resetting of the preset (by dragging first clip 1080p50 to timeline). Well, on my pc, nothing happens, PE11 don't place the clip on the timeline and there are also no errormessages etc.

In Premiere Elements 11 when you open a new project (before you import media), the project preset in the new project dialog is NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30 or PAL AVCHD Full 1080i25 (depending on whether you installed as PAL or NTSC). When you import your video file using Add Media/Files and Folders, the file goes into Project Assets. The project preset is still the 1080i Adobe default. In this route there is no automatic placement of the file directly on the Timeline. It is when you drag the first video file to the Timeline (with nothing previously put there) that the program is supposed to do it work of analyzing the file and deciding on and setting the appropriate match between the file properties and one of its project presets.

Important: it is you who put the file on the Timeline, from Project Assets to Timeline.

If you have AVCHD "1080p50", then it should be setting PAL AVCHD1080p50 once you have dragged that AVCHD 1080p to the Timeline. At that time, you can check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the reading for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size to see if that is the case. For some files, the program recognizes and fits the file into one of its project preset. When that does not happen, it gives the project its default 1080i project preset which may not be in the best for your file and the project. That is when you set the project preset yourself via the File Menu/New/Project route.

When you use the File Menu/New/Project route, you select the more appropriate project preset, but remember to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" before you exit the new project dialog. Important to remember is that you do the manual setting of the project preset before you go to Add Media for the import into Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

You wrote

Manually set the preset with new project/new name is thus the only option I've got for starting a project 1080p50

It would be one parameter in your file properties that is creating a problem for the program which is preventing it from giving you the PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50. Would it be possible for you to post a MediaInfo properties readout for one of these files?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Before you do any deactivation, uninstalling, and reinstalling, please take another look at what I wrote and what I have just wrote to see if any of it sheds more light on the matter. Not so long ago I wrote a blog post on the accuracy of the Premiere Elements 11 project preset situation.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-proj ect.html

Please review the above and let us know if any of it helped your situation.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

Thanks for the follow up with the additional information which is very helpful. Here is my take on your situation. Please review.

Based on the above you have

1920 x 1080p50 5.1 channel

There is no 1920 x 1080p50 5.1 channel project preset, so Premiere Elements 11 automatic project preset setting is doing what it  typically does under that situation, that is, giving you its default of 1920 x 1080i25 Stereo.

In this instance, I would encourage you to set the Premiere Elements 11 project preset yourself manually before you import this 1080p50 5.1 footage. As is, you are left with the choice of PAL AVCHD AVCHD1080p50.

However, if you want to enhance your workflow in many ways, I would suggest that you create your own 1920 x 1080p50 5.1 channel project preset. When that is done, Premiere Elements 11 should have it available to use it for the automatic set. But, it opens far more workflow possibilities than just in the project preset. It should open the door for you to export your 1080p50 5.1 channel as 1080p50 5.1 channel. But, the 5.1 channel will not be Dolby Digital, but it will be 5.1 channel. Your opportunities will be for a file exported with

AAC 5.1 channel

and

Windows Media Audio 10 5.1 channel

I have done a lot of work in this area. Lots of details which can be found in my blog posts:

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-exporting-1080p50-or-1080p60-f ile.html

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe11-exporting-1080p25-or-1080p30-f ile.html

Hope you can use the information for your advantage.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to fredowww66

The Conforming of the Audio in the files IS normal. That Audio Stream (per each file) is Conformed to 48KHz 32-bit floating point for extremely accurate editing. This process creates the CFA files, which are what PrE will access on the Timeline, and then the PEK files for the Waveform Display. Let the Conforming process complete 100% for all Imported files, before doing any editing. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3892177#3892177

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

You wrote

But you say "When that is done (creating this new preset), Premiere Elements 11 should have it available to use it for the automatic set."

Automatic set still doesn't work, APE stays in the default 1080i when I have an empty project and add 1 clip to assetpanel (and to the timeline) .

The expectations were not ever for the automatic Premiere Elements 11 automatic project presets always working for this or any other case. Please read on for the fuller details. After you review them, we can discuss what needs to be done to achieve your workflow goals if they have not been met.

When the program cannot fit your video to one of its project presets, it gives you its default for your program set up (NTSC or PAL). In your case that default would be PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 rather than changing that to PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50 5.1 channel based on the properties of the first drag to the Expert workspace Timeline.

I believe that the program is defaulting because your video codec is "27" rather than avc1 which MediaInfo typically uses to designate the AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video codec. Often that Premiere Elements 11 automatic project selection will default if one or more of its parameters for choice is off. So, I suspect that Premiere Elements 11 is having difficulty identifying the video codec. So, I would set the project preset manually with File Menu/New/Project, setting for your PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50 5.1 channel project preset. The important aspects of the project preset here are the frame size, frame rate, scan (field) type, and audio channels, that is 1920 x 1080, 50 frames per second, progressive, and audio 5.1 channel respectively.

So, manually set File Menu/New/Project

In the new project dialog, select PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50 5.1 channel

Make sure to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project"

Exit the new project dialog.

Then use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets

and then drag your 1080p50 5.1 channel to Expert workspace's Timeline

With any of these project presets with 5.1 channel in its description (whether created by you or Adobe), I would go with the manual setting of the project preset. The Premiere Elements 11 automatic setting of the project preset is not always correct, examples of this can be seen:

a. Importing AVCHD.mp4 5.1 channel that was exported from Premiere Elements.

Premiere Elements is labeling it "Mono" instead of 5.1 channel which it really is based on all independant video property readers. The automatic result would be project preset = PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50 in your case. Not what you want.

b. Importing a 1080p50 Windows Media Video 9.wmv 5.1 channel that was exported from Premiere Elements. Here the automatic result would be project preset = PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25. The program appears to be defaulting to its 1080i25 (in your case)  because it cannot class the Windows Media Video 9. Not wanted.

As I wrote in my blog post that I referenced earlier in this thread

4. It is highly recommended that you take control over setting up the Premiere Elements 11 project when you are using the sqpresets described. To do this, open to Premiere Elements 11 workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and, in the New Project Dialog, select your 1080p50 5.1 channel or 1080p60 5.1 channel project preset. Make sure you put a check mark next to "Force selected Project Setting on this project" before you click OK. And, then move forward to Add Media and import of video with its 1080p50 5.1 channel properties. In the opened project, you should see a little "5.1" to the right of the name Audio 1 for that track.

Please review and then we can discuss this further.

As for the Premiere Elements 11 conforming, that is the program conforming the video and audio to its standards. For one thing, your video format and codec, BDAV and "27", may be factors versus the AVC format and avc1 typically seen to represent AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression. Please also refer to my blog post cited in an earlier post in this thread which mentions factors involved with the accuracy of the Premiere Elements 11 automatic project preset setting. There are all sorts of variations on what the Premiere Elements 11 automatic project preset set will and will not recognize correctly (or otherwise put...cannot put into a category based on its programmed criteria for the set).

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

interesting read. so there is a difference if you import you video through the "add media" vs. drag directly into the timeline. but it looks like that the program will adjust that dragged in video to fit as closely as possible to one of its presets and not to the manually set criteria?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

Please take another read related to your comment

but it looks like that the program will adjust that dragged in video to fit as closely as possible to one of its presets and not to the manually set criteria?

If the Premiere Elements 11 feature of automatically setting the "right" project preset messes up, it does not do that in the name of giving you a "fit as closely as possible to one of its presets..."  It takes the easy way out and gives one result, namely, its default project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 (depends on whether  your program was set up for NTSC or PAL).

I gave some examples in my blog post on the subject

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-proj ect.html

The other side of the coin is that the user needs to know the properties of his/her source media so that he/she, unlike the program, makes the right choice to get off to a good start on the new project. With this information, then File Menu/New/Project for manual project preset followed by import of the source media via Add Media/

Hope that helps.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 7:35 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

My studies in my blog posts referenced have focused on the import and export for unedited 5.1 channel video as well as import of non 5.1 channel video and its export as 5.1 channel audio. I have not done a study on the editing opportunities for 5.1 channel video.

What specific Premiere Elements audio effects are not working for your Timeline content of 1920 x 1080p50 5.1 channel?

You bring up an interesting avenue to pursue. I will give this a look today for a variety of audio effects, the Adobe built in 5.1 channel project presets, and the special ones whose creation I suggested for export purposes.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

Took a quick look into the editing aspects of 5.1 channel in Premiere Elements.

Let us start here.

With a 1080p50 5.1 channel project preset and your 1080p50 5.1 channel file on the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline, can you keyframe the audio with the Audio Mix as well as with Adjust/Adjustment Palette/Volume?

If you can, then we are together on that.

If the issue resides with just the fx Effects/Audio Effects and you want to stay with Premiere Elements for an export (with 5.1 channel edit) to file saved to the computer hard drive, I may have a workaround.

More later once I am sure that we are in sync on the Volume adjusts for 5.1 channel in this matter.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

Thanks for the follow up.

I am preparing the write up for a suggested workaround for editing 5.1 channel in Premiere Elements 11 Windows. I will have it ready for you to try out in a few hours.

As the .wav (non 5.1 channel) sound problem, could you

a. post the MediaInfo (tree view) properties readout

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

for that or post a link to a small sample of the .wav for download here

and

b. indicate the project preset in use in Premiere Elements when this wav fails to play back.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

Here is the plan. Let us see if it works for you.

Open Premiere Elements 11 and manually set the project preset to

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

Import your 1080p50 5.1 channel

Apply Audio Effects (as wanted) to the video from fx Effects. I used Audio Effect = PitchShifter with its Carton Mouse preset.

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25

under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab, set for a 1080p50 stereo export....

Video Tab 1

VideoTab1.JPG

Audio Tab 1

AudioTab1.JPG

Now take the AVCHD.mp4 (1080p50 - Stereo) file and import that into a Premiere Elements 11 project with the

manually set project preset = PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50 5.1 channel.

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25

under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab, set for a 1080p50 5.1 channel export...

Video Tab 2

VideoTab2.JPG

Audio Tab 2

AudioTab2.JPG

This export's properties are confirmed by MediaInfo 1080p50 5.1 channel with the edit in of

the PitchShifter audio effect.

Please check it out and see if it works for you and is worth the workaround. There are a few variations on

this basic idea. This is the unabridged version.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

Thanks for looking into the suggestion.

What I wrote is what I want you to do. It will work.

To start...

1. You are going to set up the project preset manually. Open the program, immediately go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset = PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50

(that is not a typing error....do not use the PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50 5.1 channel)

Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" before exiting the new project dialog.

2. Then import your 1080p50 5.1 channel file. (that is not a typing error). You are taking your 1080p50 5.1 channel file into a Stereo based project where you will be able to edit the 5.1 channel audio on the Timeline. You cannot do this if the project preset were one with a 5.1 channel description.

Follow the rest of the instructions word by word. At the end of all of this, you should get an 1080p50 with edited 5.1 channel as verified by the MediaInfo readout.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need further clarification on this.

It is really imagizing that you can get a 5.1 channel export from a stereo Timeline if you are using a project preset that includes 5.1 channel in its description. Please carry this through to completion to get the full impact of what I am suggesting.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

The validity of the rationale is proven in viewing the properties of the final export which should contain your original 1080p50 5.1 channel now with the edits to the 5.1 channel.

Workaround being, edit of 5.1 channel in stereo project...then edited file placed in a 5.1 channel project to get the 1080p50 5.1 channel. Details are as previously written and detailed.

You may want to test this out in a mini test run before the grand project.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points