Skip navigation
evan_aggie
Currently Being Moderated

Encore CS5.5 authors a skipping Blu-Ray, but tsMuxer BDMV/.m2ts plays fine (PS3).

Jul 17, 2013 6:08 AM

I can't believe how complicated my simple task has become.

I wanted to save some football games off my DVR so I can delete them and recorded it through a hauppauge device @ 14mbps w/ H.264 output to a .mp4 file.

I loaded into Premiere and edited out the commercials, then exported w/ H.264 Blu-Ray preset.  It produced .m4v and .wav.  I combined those in tsMuxer and created the Blu-Ray directory structure (w/ .m2ts container file), burned it to a Blu-Ray Verbatim BD-R, and it plays flawlessly in my PS3.

I wanted to add a menu and some other stuff before the football game plays. I opened up the .m2ts in Encore.  Encore basically said "Pending" for the transcoding status forever.  I bailed on that method.  I then fed Encore the .m4v and the .wav for the video/audio and finally it processed the files so I could create a .iso to test out my menu, etc. 

I played the .iso on my computer through Aurora (trial) and it for some reason doesn't launch to the menu...it just launches straight into the video...fine, whatever, but it works.  When I put the Blu-Ray in my PS3, it took a while to load, went to the menu.  I clicked play and then it jumped to somewhere the middle of the football game footage.  I clicked play, and it sat forever...finally played smoothly for 5 seconds and then stopped, stutters, plays more for 2-3 seconds, etc.  This repeats and basically is unwatchable/pathetic.   My educated guess would be that somehow Encore created a video file with a higher mbps than what I gave it.  I'm trying to recall if I'm imagining somewhere where I set 15mbps (up to 20mbps max) in Encore.  I need to go look...this was the other day and I can't remember where I may have seen that.  Why is the Blu-Ray skipping so badly? My PS3 plays Blu-Ray movies just fine, and I really thought those were 20mbps+.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.  As of now I can only count on what tSmuxer produces for me: the BDMV folders.

Unrelated question, but I created 1 menu, with 1 custom button from an image.  The button in the unselected mode is not highlighted, and I confirmed this in the button-mode previews.   However, when I preview the menu in Encore and move my mouse, the button highlights (which is the button selected image).  When I burned the Blu-Ray disc, despite the stuttering, the menu does show on my PS3, but the image is immediately selected and highlighted.

Oh, one more unrelated question:  It looks like the audio drifts out of sync from the video in  Premiere.  The original .mp4 is all in sync.   I can't tell if when I cut the video and stitch it together to edit out commercials (ripple delete), if it is somehow screwing up.  I didn't see out-of-sync issues in the first half of my 2.5 hr project.  The 2nd half required me sliding the audio +00:15-20 frames to the right (later).  The input/output audio spec looks identical in the project.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to evan_aggie

Not sure I follow all of that, and for the purpose of sorting out a bluray disk from Encore, I'm going to ignore the tsMuxer. But it sounds like Encore "liked" the m4v/wav files, but you don't know if they were re-transcoded.

Create a new Encore project for a test. Import "as timeline" the m4v/wav files (select both). In the Project Panel, look at the "Bluray Transcode Status." What does it say?

Re the other issues, post a screenshot of your flowchart in the main Encore project.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to evan_aggie

I have not used tsMuxer, but do understand its function. And I agree that it is relevant to showing that the PS3 handles your material in a bluray structure.

As you note, Encore has often been shown to prefer demuxed assets. And yes, from  your description, it sounds likely that Encore did not re-transcode the file. But something is going on.

I would still do the experiment with the new project. Just export a short (5 minute) m4v/wav from PR.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to evan_aggie

I do not see a problem with the flowchart.

I worry a bit about a "button" that is that large. Even with bluray, you've created a rectangle that covers a lot of the screen. As a test, use a "regular" button that is not near the edges.

Interestingly, it does say untranscoded.

It should not. Are you changing any setting in the H.264 Bluray preset?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 8:37 PM   in reply to evan_aggie

You can set the menu properties for the default button to be "none." I don't think that is a problem. Some menus/button actions misbehave if Encore doesn't interpret their position on screen correctly, and that has happened when the button/parts of the button is too close to the side. Totally guessing at what might result in your problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to evan_aggie

evan_aggie wrote:

Why is the Blu-Ray skipping so badly?

Difficult to say, but skipping can for example happen when using to high video bitrate, using the wrong buffer size and when using pyramid. You can also have playback problems when using weighted-p, using to many b-frames or reference frames and also when using a h.264 that is not fully blu-ray compliant.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to PMK3

evan_aggie, to solve your A/V sync issues, i would use an application outside of Pr such as VideoRedo to make sure it is in sync. Then, import that file into Pr and make your cuts and edits then export into En.

I also use the Hauppage to capture my HD video into .mp4 or m2ts format. Even though it is blu ray compliant such as 1080i 29.97 fps, when i import into En, it always says "Automatic" under Blu Ray transcode settings.

I would like it to say "Do Not Transcode" but have not found a way to do this.

Is there a software, freeware or workflow to make this happen after importing into En? I do not want to transcode the file. My project settings is set to h.264 blu ray at 20 mb per sec.

thanks,

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points