Skip navigation
stein016
Currently Being Moderated

Panasonic DMC-LF1 RAW files and Elements 11

Jul 17, 2013 10:09 AM

Having just purchased Panasonic DMC-LF1 and after downloading the latest update for PS Elements 11, Elements still will not recognize the LF-1 RAW files. Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to stein016

stein016

You realize that installation of Camera Raw that supports your camera allows you only to import the raw file into Premiere Elements 11 project, not edit it there in the Camera Raw dialog. For that you need Photoshop Elements. All that being said...

1. Premiere Elements 11 Camera Raw appears to be at 7.4. No updates beyond that so far under Help Menu/Updates or elsewhere.

2. When I look in the Adobe Camera Raw Supported Camera list

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cam eras.html

I find "Panasonic DMC-LF1" which appears to need Camera Raw 8.1 which is not available to Premiere Elements 11 at this time.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/camera-raw-8-1-and-dng -converter-8-1-now-available.html

Probably the people in the Photoshop Elements Forum may have a better perspective on when if ever this Camera Raw 8.1 will arrive and for what version 11 or the next version.

Additional references if needed

http://blogs.adobe.com/richardcurtis/?p=898

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/camera-raw-8-1-and-dng -converter-8-1-now-available.html

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to stein016

It surprises me how frequently this subject comes up.  People seem to frequently buy brand new models without doing any reading about the software they intend to use.

All of Adobe's products use Adobe Camera Raw ("ACR") to "translate" RAW photos files into something visible.  I think the current version is 8.1.  Every few months, there is a new version that includes any new models.  I can't tell if the camera company needs to send information to Adobe or if Adobe has to ask for it.  With each version, Adobe lists the cameras that are added.

Elements has a track record of a new version about once a year, usually in the Fall.  Version 11 has the ability built in to use the 7.x series of ACR.  It won't and can't use the 8.x series.  So, if your brand new camera, is included in the 8.x series, you are out of luck using ACR with PE/PrE for your files.

There are other choices that work very well.  Most, if not all, cameras that shoot RAW, come with software that will process the RAW files and save them in a form suitable for PE/PrE.  Note that camera manufacturers don't normally provide software that will run on Apples.

Another choice is to use Adobe's free "DNG Converter" on either a PC or Apple.  It is updated on the same schedule with ACR.  If (or when) your camera is included in the ACR cycle, DNG converter will have it too.  DNG converter will translate your camera's RAW format to Adobe's DNG raw format and that can be edited in PE/PrE11.

Good luck!  I read your camera has the unique feature of having a viewfinder.  That's nice!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to stein016

stein016

Thanks for the follow up.

Keep a watch for Adobe's activities in this regard.

I am in the process of downloading the DNG Converter 8.1 to check it out. I do not have any high end products or am involved in the Adobe CC products. Just have Premiere Elements versions 11 through 4.

Sounds like exciting opportunities with your new Panasonic camera.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to stein016

>update for PS Elements 11

If you are talking about Photoshop Elements, it is a different product, with a different forum

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John T Smith wrote:

>update for PS Elements 11

If you are talking about Photoshop Elements, it is a different product, with a different forum

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

John,

I think the OP did write "PS Elements" in his opening.  However the ACR discussion applies to both PE and PrE.

It seems to be little know, understood or discussed.  PrE does use ACR.  It comes into play somehow when you want to put a still photo into a PrE project and that still photo is in a RAW format.  The first clue came when I updated PE for a new camera.  Some Adobe updater took over and reported that it updated two applications with a new version of ACR.  I only had two Adobe applications so I assumed the other was PrE. 

I had begun shooting RAW stills so had a few files to try.  They slid into PrE just like any other media and I was able to make a slideshow.  No resizing or other preprosessing was necessary.  Although nowhere near the capability of Lightroom, the PrE Adjust tab and Effects function with RAW photo files. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to stein016

stein016

I have something that you might want to explore and experiment with until Camera Raw 8.1 makes its way to some version of Elements (Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements).

I downloaded some raw (RW2) files from your Panasonic LF1 camera and put them through the Adobe DNG Converter 8.1 which I just downloaded to my Windows 7 64 bit computer. The download updated my previously installed Adobe DNG Converter 7.4.

The DNG Converter 8.1 converted the RW2 to DNG files which easily imported into Premiere Elements 11 (the DNG files were 4000 x 3000 pixels and each with a file size of 13.9 MB). If you are interested in this exploration and experimentation, the Adobe DNG Converter 8.1 can be downloaded from Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5597

And more information from:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html

Please let me know if you need further information about the use of RAW and DNG images in Premiere Elements. I have written about Camera Raw Premiere Elements side of things going back several versions in First Look reports as well as in Daily Discoveries which can be found online for the past several years.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If you do not have the time to download the Adobe DNG Converter 8.1, you can still convert your Panasonic LF1 RW2 to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter 7.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to stein016

stein016

Great, great news. Glad that worked out well for you.

Keep a watch on the number of dng files (any very large files) on the project Timeline and your computer resources. With Premiere Elements 11 on a 64 bit system, you may be able to stretch the classical recommendation of pixel dimensions not to exceed 2200 x 1238 or thereabouts for HD projects, but...The pixel dimensions of the RW2 samples from your brand model camera that I looked at were about 4000 x 3000. I had only a few of them and had no problems getting them into Premiere Elements 11 on Window 7 64 bit as dng files. Some have no problems with raw or dng files with those large pixels dimensions and greater while others cannot handle it. Determine your limits before the grand projects.

Continued success with your new camera and projects.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 8:35 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

A.T. Romano wrote:

Keep a watch on the number of dng files (any very large files) on the project Timeline and your computer resources. With Premiere Elements 11 on a 64 bit system, you may be able to stretch the classical recommendation of pixel dimensions not to exceed 2200 x 1238 or thereabouts for HD projects, but...The pixel dimensions of the RW2 samples from your brand model camera that I looked at were about 4000 x 3000. I had only a few of them and had no problems getting them into Premiere Elements 11 on Window 7 64 bit as dng files. Some have no problems with raw or dng files with those large pixels dimensions and greater while others cannot handle it. Determine your limits before the grand projects.

Where does that come from?  Not knowing better, I've used many huge RAW files in a PrE slideshow project and found no issues with speed, picture quality or performance.  What document or instruction says you need to pre-process for 2200 x 1238?  It it from an old version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 9:12 PM   in reply to whsprague

whsprague

You have been down this road before. Not only with me but with others.

We have gotten your message on what works for you but which does not necessarily works for all.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points