Skip navigation
Andrew Teravskis
Currently Being Moderated

Slow Saving Times in After Effects CC

Jul 17, 2013 2:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some really slow project saving times in After Effects CC.  I'm used to having projects save in under two seconds in AE CS4, but AE CC is taking up to ten minutes to save a project of comparable size and complexity!

After reading a few threads about this potentially being caused by big project files and/or Warp Stabilizer, I thought I would just have to live with the long save times.  But, I have since started another project that isn't using Warpy, and the saving time is no better - possibly even worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My computer specs:

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core2Duo @ 2.5GHz

4GB RAM (AE uses 2.5-3GBs)

GeForce 8600M GS

Project specs (with Warpy):  4-6 main comps and around 25-30 precomps, 1080p, Warpy is used on maybe 5 short layers.  Project file is 21 MBs.

Project specs (without Warpy):  Around 10-15 main comps, and 5-10 precomps.  Various comp definitions, ranging from 500x500 to 5100x3300.  Project file is 3MBs.

Thanks!

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2013 3:01 PM   in reply to Andrew Teravskis

How fast is your system drive?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1252710?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 11:16 PM   in reply to Andrew Teravskis

Sounds odd, but it may be checking the cache. Since you have a slow drive setup, you may wish to turn off al disk-based caches in teh prefs...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to Andrew Teravskis

Look at post #7 in the thread I previously linked to.  Here's a direct link to that post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5508252#5508252

There's currently a bug in After Effects where a file on your software drive is being checked any time you access a menu, use a keyboard shortcut, etc.

With your system drive (which I assume is what AE is installed on) being a slow, 5400 RPM laptop drive, I'd say this is the culprit.  As Todd mentions, there could be a fix released.  In September.  If you're lucky.  [Fail.]

You'll have to either run AE from a faster drive (probably not an option if you're on a laptop), wait until September, or go back to CS4.

I've not encountered the problem myself, but my system drive is super-fast: a SATA-3 SSD with 500+ MB read and writes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 12:20 AM   in reply to Andrew Teravskis

I'm having the same issue. On my side it has to do with numbered Arri raw files. If they are offline, the project saves in seconds. If they are accessible, the project will take several minutes to save as if it's going through each and every single frame of the numbered sequences. I'm working on a thunderbolt raid SSD (Lacie Little big disk 1TB) with an SSD for my apps. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to miorta

Today, we released the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which fixes some issues with slow reading of image sequences.

Try the update and let us know how it works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Just updated to the latest version. I'm only working with 1080p DPX files for now but it seems to save much faster. I'll need to load a 3K ARRI RAW project to see the real difference but I do have the impression the system is much faster. Even with the graphics card when I'm working on masks (I'm on a Macbook Pro Retina Late 2012). There's hardly any lag time and this is saving me a lot of time. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to miorta

Glad it's working for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers